Check out the on-demand sessions from the Low-Code/No-Code Summit to learn how to successfully innovate and achieve efficiency by upskilling and scaling citizen developers. Watch now.
This week, Tech.eu tracked 12 technology M&A transactions, three IPOs, and 76 funding deals (totalling €348 million, or about $388 million) in Europe, Turkey, and Israel. Here’s an overview of the 10 biggest European tech news items for this week:
1) Spotify has hit 40 million paying subscribers, securing its lead over Apple Music and accelerating its growth. Investment bank GP Bullhound says if Spotify can reach 100 million paying users, the best-case scenario would value the company at around $53 billion.
2) Eyeo, the German company that makes the popular Adblock Plus software, started selling the very thing many of its users hate: advertisements.
3) The European Commission has proposed directives and regulations to adapt the EU copyright rules and “modernize” them, but, instead, they have been harshly criticized as regressive by tech companies and digital rights groups.
4) The Amazon Echo is finally being released in the UK and Germany.
5) London fintech star Transferwise is doubling revenue as losses grow.
6) Israeli unmanned ground vehicle (UGV) manufacturer Roboteam has secured an additional $50 million in funding.
7) Teads, the video ad company that just raised $47 million in debt financing, has acquired UK and Romania-based Brainient, the interactive video ad startup founded by Emi Gal.
8) Volkswagen has signed a deal for a joint venture with the newly founded Israeli startup CyMotive Technologies. They will work together to develop security solutions for connected and autonomous vehicles.
9) Greek deals: Athens-based native mobile advertising startup Avocarrot was acquired by Berlin adtech company Glispa, and US company Altair has acquired Solid Iris Technologies, a Greece-based tech startup specializing in photorealistic rendering and visualisation.
10) Collaboration: 16 national startup associations have joined forces in the European Startup Network (ESN).
This post originally appeared on Tech.eu.
You can subscribe to Tech.eu’s newsletter here.
VentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative enterprise technology and transact. Discover our Briefings.