Were you unable to attend Transform 2022? Check out all of the summit sessions in our on-demand library now! Watch here.
This week, Tech.eu tracked 9 technology M&A transactions, two IPOs, and 76 tech funding deals (totaling €365 million, about $386 million) in Europe, Turkey, and Israel.
Here’s an overview of the 10 biggest European tech news items for this week:
1) French IoT startup Sigfox announced it has closed a €150 million Series E round to accelerate the expansion of its global network to 60 countries by 2018 and reach profitability.
2) Facebook has stopped collecting WhatsApp user data across Europe, bowing to pressure from privacy watchdogs across the continent.
3) Expedia’s German hotel-booking site Trivago filed for an IPO in the United States. On Monday, it filed with an offering size of $400 million, which is a placeholder amount that may change.
4) As part of a £1 billion investment plan, Google is to open a new HQ building in London that could see 3,000 new jobs created by 2020.
5) U.K.-based digital wealth manager Nutmeg has raised £30 million, after naming Martin Stead its new CEO this summer.
6) The Digital News Initiative, a group formed by Google to explore, promote, and financially back new efforts in news publishing, announced that it is putting €24 million into 124 projects across 25 countries in Europe.
7) Edinburgh-based FreeAgent, which offers web-based accounting software, has floated on AIM, raising £10.7 million, with a market capitalization of £34 million.
8) Amazon has launched its Spotify rival in the U.K. with a headline price of £9.99 a month.
9) Russia’s Sberbank, an investor in Uber, has announced its next $250 million venture fund.
10) The U.K.’s far-reaching surveillance bill is now all but law.
Bonus link: Britain’s hottest fintech startups depend on a €5 billion German company.
This post originally appeared on Tech.eu.
You can subscribe to Tech.eu’s newsletter here.
VentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative enterprise technology and transact. Discover our Briefings.