Connect with top gaming leaders in Los Angeles at GamesBeat Summit 2023 this May 22-23. Register here.
If you follow VentureBeat but don’t regularly check our GamesBeat site, here’s a list of the best video game stories we ran over the last seven days that you may have missed.
This week, Activision confirms Call of Duty: Ghosts is a real thing after British retailer Tesco leaked that information last week, Mojang sells 10 million copies of Minecraft on mobile devices, and Re-Mission 2 explores how games can help kids survive cancer.
You’ll also find interviews with Quantic Dream’s David Cage and Gree’s search for a billion-dollar game. Also, be sure to check out our feature on fighting game special attacks so long you could make a sandwich before they finish.
GamesBeat Summit 2023
Join the GamesBeat community in Los Angeles this May 22-23. You’ll hear from the brightest minds within the gaming industry to share their updates on the latest developments.
- The DeanBeat: Neurogaming is a nascent market fueled by brain games and sensors
- Playstudios launches new social casino game with the Mirage brand
- Zynga reveals League of Legends-like Solstice Arena for mobile
- Activision quiet as Wii U version of Call of Duty: Ghosts fails to materialize
- Activision confirms Call of Duty: Ghosts for next-gen Xbox with new trailer
- Gearbox artist: Dragon’s Crown’s art is like that of ‘some juvenile delinquent’
- Ace of Spades, Brick-Force, and Guncraft fire away in a block-shooter faceoff
- Jazz Boatman wants you to know that sexy boat game Leviathan is finally out
- Zynga to publish Disruptor Beam’s Game of Thrones: Ascent social game
- Candy Crush Saga rules mobile game downloads, but Puzzle & Dragons has the revenue
- Respawn’s shooter rumored to be a next-generation Xbox exclusive
- Google Play comes to Nook at long last, as B&N throws in the Lone Ranger towel
- Apple announces countdown to 50 billion apps served, reveals top 50 apps of all time
- Mojang sells 10 million copies of Minecraft on mobile devices alone
- Mobile developer Dragonplay expands into publishing
- WemoLab launches SuperFugu undersea exploration adventure for iPad
- Asia’s Line mobile messaging network crosses 150M users and 100M game downloads
- Just one more turn: Sid Meier designing new mobile game
- Let’s put a dollar on it: Skillz brings real-money cash wagering to Android
- No joke: Why CollegeHumor made a 3DS game
- Smell could be the last frontier in making games more immersive and realistic
- E-sports league admits employee installed malware to ‘mine’ Bitcoins
- Madden developer’s lawsuit against EA going to trial
- Game, movie, or both? Stunning footage shows why Beyond: Two Souls belonged at Tribeca
- CCP Games cuts deal for Eve Universe TV show based on real-life stories
- 2K Games won’t have a booth at this year’s E3
- 1M gamers register for accounts in sci-fi MMO Defiance
- China’s PC online game market to hit $11.9B in 2013
- Cryptic, Wizards of the Coast aren’t worried about ‘D&D Next’ hurting Neverwinter MMO
- UltimatePoker.com goes live as the first real-money online gambling site in Nevada
- The big debate about the blurring of social casino games and online gambling
- Game developers revive Sissyfight as an open-source online game about sexism
- Intel promises souped-up graphics with new fourth-generation Core processors
- Turbulenz HTML5 game engine is now open source
- Game console chips will lead the way for AMD’s semi-custom business
- How Google is melding our real and virtual worlds with games, apps … and Glass
- Nvidia hires new chief to replace outgoing Tegra leader
- Next-gen Xbox may turn your room into the game using special projector
- Grid 2 developer discusses online cheaters and what to do with them (interview)
- Quantic Dream’s David Cage describes growing as a storyteller, doesn’t rule out film directing (interview)
- Gree searches for the billion-dollar game from its swanky S.F. headquarters (interview)
Pieces of Flair
- GamesBeat’s Favorite Skyrim Mods #4: Tropical Skyrim
- ROUNDTABLE’D! Game characters objectify Dragon’s Crown’s female anatomy!
- Ghost of a Tale: A film animator turns to Indiegogo to fund his first video game
- The 99 cent smartphone game sending bikes to Africa
- Fighting the robot wars: Mechwarrior Online vs. Hawken vs. Heavy Gear Arena
- You can make a snack before these fighting game supermoves finish
- Re-Mission 2 games reimagine how to help kids survive cancer
- 3 retro Disney games that don’t deserve remakes
GamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. Discover our Briefings.