Connect with top gaming leaders in Los Angeles at GamesBeat Summit 2023 this May 22-23. Register here.
If you follow VentureBeat but don’t regularly check our GamesBeat site, here’s a list of the best video game stories we ran over the last seven days that you may have missed.
This week, Microsoft unveiled the Xbox One, the company’s next-gen console and one-stop living room entertainment device, Ex-EA chief John Riccitiello urges console makers to consider consumer wants before shipping products, and Yahoo continues its acquisition madness by picking up the game company PlayScale.
You’ll also find a review of Resident Evil: Revelations as well as previews for Batman: Arkham Origins, Dying Light, and Civilization V’s Brave New World.
GamesBeat Summit 2023
Join the GamesBeat community in Los Angeles this May 22-23. You’ll hear from the brightest minds within the gaming industry to share their updates on the latest developments.
- The DeanBeat: Microsoft and Sony should escape binary thinking
- GamesBeat’s complete coverage for Microsoft’s Xbox One announcement
- Microsoft making $1B bet on Xbox One games, says bigwig Phil Harrison
- Xbox One vs. PlayStation 4: A battle for next-gen supremacy
- Microsoft shows behind-the-scenes design of its Xbox One game controller
- Xbox One: Microsoft’s boldest attempt to unify its services is a game console
- DmC: Devil May Cry developer working on beat-em-up for iOS and Android
- Craziest special edition ever? $190K Grid 2 bundle comes with … a car
- PSA: Xbox Live was not hacked today
- Super Stardust HD developer working on spiritual successor for PlayStation 4
- This is what a $150 Grand Theft Auto V: Collector’s Edition looks like
- Nintendo issues another patch for Wii U
- Skullgirls getting arcade port in Japan
- U.S. version of Animal Crossing: New Leaf has Twitter and Tumblr support
- Ex-EA chief John Riccitiello pushes console makers to get four things right in this generation
- Call in sick: Plants vs. Zombies Adventures is out now
- Nintendo promises to ‘discuss’ new Smash Bros., 3D Mario, and Mario Kart before E3
- Defiance developer cuts staff; MMO Rift unaffected
- EA appoints New York Times digital-product expert to its board
- Amazon taking Madden NFL 25: Annivesary Edition preorders — bundled with NFL Sunday Ticket
- Hooked Media turns in an entirely new take on app recommendation — one that Apple can’t kill
- Zynga unleashes Gauntlet-like Battlestone on iOS
- G.I. Joe: Battleground looks to capture the cartoon in a modern mobile game
- DeNA developing Dungeons & Dragons: Arena of War for mobile based on ‘D&D Next’
- Top Eleven developer trumpets the social soccer game’s impressive growth
- Jawfish launches real-time multiplayer game tournaments on mobile devices
- Happy Cloud announces $4.25M funding round and new chief executive
- WildTangent launches mobile games on Asus tablets
- DeNA to publish Peter Molyneux’s Godus mobile game
- Who needs an Xbox One? Nvidia shows off new speedy graphics card
- Big Fish Games takes its cloud-gaming service to all four major screens
- HP launches a 20-inch all-in-one that doubles as a tabletop computer
- Warner’s Dying Light will make you a zombie hunter by day, a terrified victim by night (preview)
- Batman: Arkham Origins hits the repeat button hard (preview)
- Civilization V’s Brave New World expansion feels like a culture club (hands-on preview)
- Activision’s Eric Hirshberg bets that 40M Call of Duty fans will follow him to Xbox One (interview)
- Dying Light developer explains how to roam an open world full of hungry zombies (interview)
- How Activision plans to beat Disney with the marketing of Skylanders: Swap Force (interview)
- Batman: Arkham Origins’ senior producer on how — and when — to move the needle (interview)
- How Smooth McGroove quit his day job to record a capella versions of classic gaming tunes (interview)
Pieces of flair
- Beating down a fighting-game master with Divekick’s two-button gameplay
- Ceiling Kinect and Call of Duty dogs: The top Xbox One GIFs and memes (so far)
- GamesBeat’s Favorite Skyrim Mods #9: Dwemer Mechanical Mounts & Followers
- ROUNDTABLE’D! Game characters red-ring the Xbox One!
- The top 6 MMOs you should be playing this year
- EA’s ulterior motive behind killing the Online Pass
- Consoles that won’t die: The Sega Dreamcast
GamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. Discover our Briefings.