Connect with top gaming leaders in Los Angeles at GamesBeat Summit 2023 this May 22-23. Register here.
If you follow VentureBeat but don’t regularly check our GamesBeat site, here’s a list of the best video game stories we ran over the last seven days that you may have missed.
This week, Activision buys out parent company Vivendi’s shares for $8.17 billion after Vivendi asked for a $3 billion dividend, new Zynga chief executive officer Don Mattrick lays out his 90-day plan to get the company back on its feet, and Electronic Arts loses in a lawsuit brought by a former Madden programmer.
You’ll also find a review for Shadowrun Returns and a two-part interview with EA exec Frank Gibeau about next-gen consoles and digital ecosystems.
GamesBeat Summit 2023
Join the GamesBeat community in Los Angeles this May 22-23. You’ll hear from the brightest minds within the gaming industry to share their updates on the latest developments.
- The DeanBeat: At Siggraph, dipping into gaming’s frontiers — like a bathtub liquid display
- DICE shows off the expanded Battlelog features for Battlefield 4
- Aeria Games bringing free-to-play F.E.A.R. Online to U.S. gamers
- Minecraft-like shooter Guncraft blasts its way to Steam on Aug. 9
- SwapMob raises $1M for in-game virtual goods marketplace (exclusive)
- Microsoft may soon have a more indie-friendly console than Sony or Nintendo (UPDATED)
- Saints Row IV officially enters the world as Volition finishes development
- Battlefield 3 Premium surpasses 4 million members
- Oculus planning VR game jam with IndieCade
- Bundle Dragon brings the pay-what-you-want model to everyone
- Madden, FIFA players can carry over Ultimate Team items from current gen to PlayStation 4, Xbox One
- Saints Row IV almost ended with a Bollywood dance number
- Ouya success Towerfall coming to PC — online multiplayer not likely
- Square Enix’s Bloodmasque rises from its coffin on iOS
- Machine Zone launches ambitious iOS title Game of War: Fire Age after huge investment
- New Google Play Games app centralizes multiplayer and more on Android
- After 100M downloads, JoyBits readies an ambitious Doodle God sequel for tablets
- EA made more money on Apple’s App Store than through Origin
- Spaceteam crosses space-time to debut on Android
- Family develops iPad game to inspire young girls to love math
- BlackBerry attempts to boost game support with Unity partnership
- Nvidia aims to blow away mobile graphics competitors with Project Logan
- PlayStation 4 is less likely to turn your entertainment center into a sauna
- Kinect-like Leap Motion 3D camera launches with over 75 applications
- Sweepstakes startup Kizzang loses two top executives (exclusive)
- Jury sides with Madden programmer in EA lawsuit
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution studio head resigns because Square Enix lacks ‘courage’
- Curse moves into console game community news with acquisition of FutHead.com (exclusive)
- World of Tanks developer acquires Master of Orion and Total Annihilation franchises
All this funding
- Shadow of the Eternals returns to Kickstarter with PS4 support, new talent, and a new price
- NCSoft invests big in new studio from Blizzard, Relic, and Sony Online veterans
- How movie makers, game makers are using pre-visualization to get funded
- Japan’s KLab raises $9.3M for mobile games
- Activision Blizzard preannounces earnings that beat Wall Street estimates
- Activision buys out Vivendi in a deal worth $8.17 billion
- Vivendi may shake down Activision for a special $3B dividend
- Activision releasing new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles side-scrolling brawler in October
House of Zynga
- New Zynga CEO Don Mattrick lays out his 90-day plan
- Zynga exec explains why it’s abandoning online gambling in the U.S.
- Zynga will not ‘pursue a license for real-money [gambling] in the U.S.’
- Zynga slightly beats Wall Street expectations for Q2, but stock falls after-hours
- Microsoft wants everyone to make games (or apps) for Xbox One (interview)
- Entrepreneurship educator Carl Rosendahl tells us how game studios go awry (interview)
- Frank Gibeau on EA’s digital ecosystems, Star Wars games, and Titanfall (interview part two)
- EA exec Frank Gibeau: Betting on next-gen consoles, mobile, and doing right by consumers (interview)
- How curiosity keeps Pong creator Al Alcorn on the innovation path (interview)
Pieces of flair
- Players kill over 2,000 cows per minute in RuneScape 3
- Going indie: Why 5 devs left their day jobs for creative independence (part two)
GamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. Discover our Briefings.