Connect with top gaming leaders in Los Angeles at GamesBeat Summit 2023 this May 22-23. Register here.
If you follow VentureBeat but don’t regularly check our GamesBeat site, here’s a list of the best video game stories we ran over the last seven days that you may have missed.
This week, Apple reveals its new 64-bit processor chip for iPhone that could revolutionize mobile gaming, Sony announces a thinner (less beautiful) Vita as well as a Vita-based microconsole, and Valve announces a game-sharing component for Steam which allows players to share games with up to 10 authorized friends. We also interview Marcus “djWheat” Graham on how he became the iconic “voice” of e-sports.
You’ll also find reviews for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Card Hunter, The Wonderful 101, and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix.
GamesBeat Summit 2023
Join the GamesBeat community in Los Angeles this May 22-23. You’ll hear from the brightest minds within the gaming industry to share their updates on the latest developments.
- The DeanBeat: What will be gaming’s best title: GTA V or Infinity Blade III?
- Here’s the preliminary agenda for GamesBeat 2013
- Sony focusing on Asia for PlayStation Vita TV; U.S. gamers must wait
- Students looking to study video game design at college have more choices than ever
- Mirror’s Edge developer takes executive producer role on Eve: Valkyrie
- EEDAR chief exec to join panel discussion on how big data can improve game development
- Ex-Zynga exec John Schappert starts new game startup with investment from Nexon
- PlayStation Vita TV is Sony’s new $100 microconsole
- Microsoft doubles down on Xbox Music with revamped service — including iOS and Google Play apps
- Ubisoft takes a chance on Valiant Hearts, a game about the Great War
- Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD coming to consoles and PC
- Eve Online lead designer leaving CCP Games to join League of Legends developer
- How Marcus ‘djWheat’ Graham became one of the voices of e-sports
Announcement and reveals:
- Update 2.4 brings The Dread War and PVP arenas to Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Ouya competitor GameStick launching worldwide in October
- Moshi Monsters developer wants to increase subscription sales; reveals affiliate program
- Newest World of Warcraft patch, Siege of Orgrimmar, now live
- Square Enix reveals Theatrhythm sequel with over 200 songs for 3DS in Japan
- Valve announces Steam Family Sharing — share your game library with authorized friends
- Kerbal Space Program version 0.22 update adds R&D parts and tech tree
- NPD report: Kids playing mobile devices nearly as much as consoles and PC
- Ubisoft brings Panzer General back as an online card game
- EA names new chief of BioWare label (exclusive)
- Mom’s spaghetti: Preorder Call of Duty: Ghosts at GameStop for special offer on Eminem’s new album
- Chipotle releases iOS game about a wholesome-food-farming scarecrow
- Days of Wonder’s Small World 2 available today for iPad
- Disney Mobile aims for another big Swampy hit with sequel to Where’s My Water?
- Chair reveals Infinity Blade III at Apple’s iPhone 5S event
- Autodance 2014 encourages players to Just Dance with themselves
- More power: What iPhone 5S’s 64-bit processor means for gaming
- Vivante unveils Vega graphics chips for Android and Chrome OS devices
- Intel shows new Haswell Chromebooks and plans to make 3D gestures commonplace
- The new PlayStation Vita’s display looks worse than the original’s
- Apple announces 64-bit A7 chip and ‘motion coprocessor’ — pay attention, game and fitness-app developers
All this funding:
- Sixense surpasses Kickstarter goal in a day for motion-sensing controllers
- Video Games Live Kickstarter surpasses goal for third album
- Big Viking Games looks to crowdfund its next free-to-play RPG
- Sixense to launch Kickstarter for wireless motion-sensing game controllers (exclusive)
- August 2013 NPD: Retail sales up year-over-year for first time since October 2011
- Gameloft sales increase 15 percent through first half of 2013
- Epic’s Infinity Blade has made more than $60 million in revenue
- Analyst predicts Saints Row IV, Madden fueled video game market growth in August
- Boring filler and shoddy camera keep The Wonderful 101 from living up to its name (review)
- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix is a beautiful bounty for series fans (review)
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is a gorgeously accessible and flexible MMO (review)
- Card Hunter: Old-school D&D and tactics meet for a stellar game (review)
- Remedy Entertainment expands its board as gaming moves into new transition (interview)
- At 12% of total revenue, digital games are no longer an afterthought at Ubisoft (interview)
- Holocaust game creator takes issue with World War II shooter games as distasteful (interview)
Pieces of flair:
- This is what a Spelunky ‘Hell run’ world record looks like
- Xbox One infographic simplifies Microsoft’s next-gen messaging
GamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. Discover our Briefings.