Connect with top gaming leaders in Los Angeles at GamesBeat Summit 2023 this May 22-23. Register here.
Welcome to GamesBeat’s Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City game guide.
1. TIPS & TRICKS
GamesBeat Summit 2023
Join the GamesBeat community in Los Angeles this May 22-23. You’ll hear from the brightest minds within the gaming industry to share their updates on the latest developments.
Who is the best character?
While I want to say this boils down to personal preference and playstyle, the Assault class (Lupo and Dee-Ay) are undeniably overpowered. At level three, the Super Soldier ability can nullify five complete attacks (even explosions) and increase your damage output/accuracy by 30% for a short period of time. That’s more than enough to mop the floor with any individual target, but sometimes even allows for the rapid dispatching of multiple enemy players.
It’s also a good way to skip through certain sections in the campaign (if you run to a cutscene trigger while invulnerable, your squad will be teleported to your location), or to get in close for some easy Close Quarter Combat (CQC) kills.
If you want to mix things up, the Assault class also comes with the Guns A’ Blazin’ ability, which allows you to shoot your equipped weapon without fear of expending any ammo. This is especially potent when combined with a grenade launcher. Simply use up all the launcher’s initial ammo, then active your ability and keep on shooting. People will hate you.
Check the character section to see who all has the Assault abilities.
Cheap kills 1: Explosives
There are two annoying gameplay exploits you need to be wary of in ORC. The first is explosives, which will knock anyone in the blast range to the ground. The trick is that this can be continued ad nauseum, meaning you can repeatedly shoot a grenade launcher or throw grenades at someone so that they fall back down just as they’re getting up. There’s very little they can do about it, but at the same time, you’ll get stuck too if someone turns the tables on you.
How to counter: The Demolition ability Blast Armor prevents you from being knocked down by explosions, as well as decreasing the damage you’ll take. Other than that, there’s not a lot you can do if some noob brings a grenade launcher into a versus match (and they will).
Note: If you want to be a bit more honorable, you can knock the enemy down with a single explosion, then rush in and finish them with a Brutal CQC kill as they’re standing back up. Position yourself behind them to make it harder for them to counter.
Cheap kills 2: Knifing
By spamming the B button, you can quickly slash at any target. When a player gets slashed, they’ll enter a stunned animation, allowing you to slash them again. You can literally repeat this until they die (dozens of slashes), or until someone interrupts you. It’s extremely annoying, especially if you’re the one it happens too, and especially if you get stuck in a corner with two or more enemies slicing you up.
How to counter: Knife them first, always keep your distance, or travel in packs to avoid getting ganged up on. If you find yourself caught up getting knifed endlessly, spam the dive button and eventually you *may* break free.
Easy player kills
Aside from the explosive/CQC combo mentioned above, an easy way to get player kills is in the Survivor versus mode. Wait until the helicopter lands, then find a nearby spot where you can put your back up against a wall and wait for enemies to enter your sights. They’ll most likely be rushing to get onto the helicopter, and since it takes a few seconds to board, you’ll have more than enough time to light them up without worrying about reprisal. Depending on how dumb the other team is, you can do this almost indefinitely, unlocking a few Achievements for kill streaks and CQC kills if you’re feeling brazen.
DLC costumes & weapons
If you already purchased the Special Edition of the game, you have all the available weapons and costumes. If you didn’t, you can purchase the “Weapons Stash and Costumes” pack at a discounted price to get all of the DLC weapons, which were originally pre-order bonuses for various retailers.
There are only six DLC costumes, so if you already bought any DLC pack, you have them all.
ORC does a very poor job at explaining how the game’s mechanics work (that is to say it doesn’t explain them at all), so here’s a quick list of things you may find useful:
- To execute a CQC kill, tap B to slice the enemy with your knife and then immediately tap A to enter the kill animation.
- If you want to use a zombie as a meatshield, tap and hold B to grab them.
- You cannot CQC-kill hero characters, even if you’re a hero too.
- Press Y to activate your active ability (need to have one unlocked/selected first, obviously).
- Aim for the head. Headshots are extremely vital for kill quicks, regardless of who you’re shooting at.
- First Aid Sprays and Antiviral Sprays have an area of effect, meaning if you coordinate a heal with your team, you can use one can for everyone. Turn those mics on!
- A player who has been infected can now be damaged by friendly fire.
- Infected players will slowly lose health until they turn into an uncontrollable zombie.
2. CHARACTER ABILITIES
Every playable character in the game has two passive abilities and three active abilities to choose from. Each ability has three levels, meaning once you’ve purchased it, you’ll need to spend XP to upgrade it two more times before you’re at the max level.
Once you’ve unlocked/upgrade an ability, it will be available/upgraded for all characters who have access to it.
If you’re going to use an ability, upgrade it right away–there’s no reason to wait (especially passives).
Active abilities are executed by pressing the Y button and have a cooldown timer before you can use them again.
Both passive abilities are always activated, but you can only select one active ability per match.
MEDIC: Bertha (U.S.S.) & Harley (Spec Ops)
- First Aid Proficiency – Spawn with a First Aid Spray and increases carrying capacity to two. (750 XP)
- Field Medic – Restore an additional 16% of health when using Green Herbs and First Aid Sprays. (750 XP)
- Stimpack – Increase accuracy and movement speed on yourself or a teammate for 15 seconds. Restores after 30 seconds. (1000 XP)
- Neutralize Infection – Cure an infection or lightly damage an infected enemy. Restores after 20 seconds. (750 XP)
- Painkiller – Reduces the amount of damage you or a teammate receives by 50% for 10 seconds. Restores after 30 seconds. (1250 XP)
DEMOLITION: Beltway (U.S.S.) & Tweed (Spec Ops)
- Blast Armor – Prevents you from being knocked down by explosives and reduces the damage received from explosives by 10%. (750 XP)
- Blast Master – Reduces the time it takes to restore all selectable abilities by two seconds. Can also disable enemies. (750 XP)
- Fragmentation Mine – Plant a Frag Mine on the floor. Can be manually detonated. The ability restores when all mines are destroyed and takes 20 seconds. (1000 XP)
- Timed Sticky Explosive – Throw an explosive that sticks to surfaces and detonates after five seconds. Restores after 25 seconds. (1000 XP)
- Laser Trip Mine – Plant a Trip Mine that sticks to surfaces and detonates once an enemy passes through the laser. Restores after 15 seconds. (1000 XP)
ASSAULT: Lupo (U.S.S.) & Dee-Ay (Spec Ops)
- Body Armor – Reduces the damage you receive from bullets by 10% (750 XP)
- Quick Reload – Speeds up the time it takes to reload your weapon by 33% (750 XP)
- Incendiary Rounds – Shoot flammable ammo for 10 seconds. Ability restores in 30 seconds. (750 XP)
- Guns A’ Blazin’ – Expel an infinite amount of ammo for 10 seconds. Accuracy and recoil are improved by 33%. Cool down time is 45 seconds. (750 XP)
- Super Soldier – Nullifies the next three hits. Damage output and weapon accuracy are increased by 10% for eight seconds. Ability restores in 60 seconds. (1250 XP)
FIELD ENGINEER: Four Eyes (U.S.S.) & Shona (Spec Ops)
- Antiviral Proficiency – Spawn with an Antiviral Spray and increases your carrying capacity to two. (750 XP)
- Biometric Vision – Clearly see infected specimens and distinguish their weak points from up to 10 meters away. (750 XP)
- Induce Infection – Use a hypo gun that has a 33% chance to infect a soldier and 90% chance to turn a zombie into a Crimson Head ally. (750 XP)
- Attraction Pheromone – Throws an AP vial that explodes into a gas that attracts infected enemies. The gas cloud is 12 meters wide and last for 10 seconds. Ability restores after 30 seconds. (1250 XP)
- Program Infected – Control an infected enemy by shooting them with a Program dart. Restores after 30 seconds. (1250 XP)
SURVEILLANCE: Spectre (U.S.S.) & Party Girl (Spec Ops)
- Proximity Detection – Increases size of mini-map and automatically reveals enemies within 10 meters. You are also notified when an enemy targets you. (750 XP)
- Item Detection – Allows you to see all item pick-ups within 10 meters on your mini-map. Item locations are clearly identified on your HUD. (1250 XP)
- Threat Scanner – Allows you to scan 20 meters around you and automatically identify nearby enemies on all allies’ mini-maps as well as your own. Lasts for 15 seconds and replenishes after 25 seconds. (750 XP)
- Biothermal Vision – Allows you to clearly see living targets 20 meters away for 10 seconds. The ability restores after two seconds. (750 XP)
- Sonar Vision – Emits a sonar pulse that reveals enemies and allies, even through solid objects. Lasts for 10 seconds and replenishes after 10 seconds. (1000 XP)
RECON: Vector (U.S.S.) & Willow (Spec Ops)
- Stealth Run – Increases your movement speed by 5% and reduces the sound of footsteps, allowing you to sprint without being detected on enemy mini-maps. (750 XP)
- Detection Avoidance – Allows you to avoid being detected on enemy mini-maps while moving at less than 50% of your maximum speed. (750 XP)
- Motion Detector – Sticks onto any surface and displays enemies on the mini-map within 15 meters. Enemies that trigger the device are stunned. (750 XP)
- Mimicry – Disguise yourself as an enemy unit after an eligible target has been indicated by the reticle. Lasts for 30 seconds and restores after 20 seconds. (750 XP)
- Active Camouflage – Renders you mostly invisible for a short period. Some BOWs can still sense your presence. Lasts for 10 seconds and replenishes after 45 seconds. (1250 XP)
The hero and villain characters from Heroes Mode have unique ability loadouts.
- Passive: Antiviral Proficiency / First Aid Proficiency
- Active: Attraction Pheromone / Stimpack / Painkiller
- Passive: Body Armor / Proximity Detection
- Active: Incendiary Ammo / Super Soldier / Threat
- Passive: Blast Master / Stealth Run
- Active: Motion Detector / Timed Sticky Mine / Laser Trip Wire
- Passive: Quick Reload / Blast Armor
- Active: Guns A’ Blazin’ / Fragmentation Mine / Timed Sticky Mine
- Passive: Quick Reload / First Aid
- Active: Incendiary Ammo / Neutralize Infection / Painkiller
- Passive: Blast Armor / Blast Master
- Active: Fragmentation Mine / Laser Trip Wire / Attraction Pheromone
- Passive: Body Armor / Antiviral Proficiency
- Active: Induce Infection / Attraction Pheromone / Guns A’ Blazin’
- Passive: Stealth Run / Proximity Detection
- Active: Active Camouflage / Biothermal Vision / Sonar Vision
Below is the location of the seven different Raccoon Mascot collectibles, one in each stage.
RACCOON MASCOT STATUES
Before reaching Birkin’s lab, look behind the servers in the room with the curved sofas.
Where you need to use the computer, take the stairs up and turn left to double doors leading to another set of stairs. The statue is at the top.
3. Lights Out
Stay right once you reach the park and it will be near a sewer entrance.
4. Gone Rogue
In the center of the room with the green tanks.
Next to a flag in the office, behind the desk.
The second time the elevator stops, the statue will be in the back room.
7. End Of The Line
After the zombies break through the Spec Ops gate, follow the train near the ladder around to the right and the statue will be at the end.
4. SECRET ACHIEVEMENTS
Want to know what those secret Achievements are? Here you go. The last three have very mild spoilers.
Stop Squirming – 10G
17 Hunters Killed (lifetime)
This Place Crawls – 15G
31 Parasites killed (lifetime)
By Trail Of Dead – 10G
50 Versus opponents killed (lifetime)
Hat Trick – 15G
3 Tyrants Killed (lifetime)
Only Hurts For A While – 10G
Infected 13 times (lifetime)
Clingy – 10G
13 Parasite Zombies killed (lifetime)
Revival – 20G
Revive 31 teammates (lifetime)
Died Trying – 15G
Attempt “The Rescue” and fail
A Hero Spared! – 15G
Attempt “The Rescue” and survive
The Loyalists – 15G
Follow orders and defeat all liabilities
GamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. Discover our Briefings.