Connect with top gaming leaders in Los Angeles at GamesBeat Summit 2023 this May 22-23. Register here.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild won Game of the Year tonight at this year’s Game Developers Choice Awards, and absolutely nobody was surprised. It beat out Platinum Games’ Nier: Automata, Guerrilla Games’ Horizon: Zero Dawn, and fellow Nintendo blockbuster Super Mario Odyssey. The GDC Awards ceremony is an annual event during the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.
Here are the rest of tonight’s winners:
- Best Debut: Cuphead (Studio MDHR)
- Best Mobile Game: Gorogoa (Buried Signal)
- Best Narrative: What Remains of Edith Finch (Giant Sparrow)
- Best Technology: Horizon Zero Dawn (Guerrilla Games)
- Best Audio: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
- Best Visual Art: Cuphead (Studio MDHR)
- Best Design: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
- Best VR/AR Game: Superhot VR (Superhot Team)
- Audience Award: Nier: Automata (Platinum Games)
- Innovation Award: Gorogoa (Buried Signal)
- Ambassador of the Year Award: Rami Ismail
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Tim Schafer
- Game of the Year: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
GamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. Discover our Briefings.