Want to know which GamesBeat stories ranked most popular in 2011 — the ones that took off into the stratosphere in terms of traffic? Well, here’s a list at our top 10. We offer them up to give you a sense of the Zeitgeist for our piece of the internet.
1. This $25 computer (yes computer!) also runs Quake 3. The Raspberry Pi computer (which still hasn’t launched but is coming soon) is no slouch when it comes to running older PC games.
2. Is another Black Ops map pack coming May 3? What can we say? Gamers want to know when their favorite franchise will have another installment of maps.
3. Ocean Marketing: How to self-destruct your company with just a few measly emails. If you didn’t catch this lesson in how not to handle customer service, it’s a doozy. It made the otherwise quiet holidays more amusing. And don’t miss our dramatic re-enactment of Ocean Marketing’s PR flop.
GamesBeat Next 2023
Join the GamesBeat community in San Francisco this October 24-25. You’ll hear from the brightest minds within the gaming industry on latest developments and their take on the future of gaming.
4. Diablo III release date is early 2012, more beta keys going out. As with our No. 2 story, we figured out that a lot of people want to play this next big dungeon-crawling game from Blizzard Entertainment.
5. Tips and tricks: How to get ahead in Skyrim. Our 4,000-word review wasn’t enough, so Sebastian Haley put together all of the tips he could offer from playing Skyrim for an absurdly long period of time. This story was so popular that Sebastian wrote a second guide.
6. New Black Ops map pack is confirmed for May 3. We pulled the trigger fast on this story and gamers came to see. Yes, it is odd that map pack news was more popular than news about any one brand-new game.
7. Sony finally brings PlayStation Network fully online in Japan. For a period of weeks, Sony’s PlayStation Network outage was a debacle that held readers spellbound.
8. Left4Dead short film rivals Hollywood production values. Sebastian Haley got the scoop on this short film built around favorite video game heroes.
9. Women who play online games have more sex. (Infographic). Sex and games. That’s an unbeatable combination.
10. Pirated Modern Warfare 3 discs are already spreading. We got the scoop on how disc piracy preceded the launch of Modern Warfare 3, which still turned out to be the most popular game of 2011.
GamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. Discover our Briefings.