Connect with top gaming leaders in Los Angeles at GamesBeat Summit 2023 this May 22-23. Register here.
(Reuters) — Disney unveiled new details on Thursday about Disney+, a family-friendly digital video subscription that is set to debut later this year and compete with Netflix.
The ad-free service will include movies and TV series from Disney and will feature programming from the Marvel superhero universe, the “Star Wars” galaxy, “Toy Story” creator Pixar animation and the National Geographic channel.
It will cost $7 a month or $70 per year.
When the service debuts on Nov. 12, some of the programming available from Disney’s libraries will include:
- Classic Disney animated movies such as 101 Dalmatians and Bambi
- The entire Pixar catalog including A Bug’s Life and Cars
- Captain Marvel and three other Marvel films
- The first and second Star Wars trilogies
- Live-action movies such as the Pirates of the Caribbean series, Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music.
- More than 5,000 episodes of Disney Channel shows such as Hannah Montana
Disney also will create original programming exclusively for the service. According to the company, that will include:
- A new season of animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- A live-action Star Wars series called The Mandalorian, developed by Jon Favreau
- A TV series starring Diego Luna that is a prequel to the movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- A series focused on the villain Loki, played by Tom Hiddleston
- A series starring Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch
- Monsters at Work, a series inspired by Pixar hit Monsters Inc. Billy Crystal and John Goodman will return as the voices of Mike and Sulley.
- Remakes of Disney classics such as Lady and the Tramp and Sword in the Stone
- Noelle, a Christmas fantasy adventure starring Anna Kendrick and Bill Hader
- Togo, starring Willem Dafoe in a story about a famous sled-dog
- A new High School Musical series
- Diary of a Female President, a comedy series about a 12-year-old Cuban-American girl on a journey to become president of the United States
- Marvel’s 616, a documentary series exploring the intersection between Marvel stories and characters and the real world
- Be Our Chef, a food competition show in which families compete and the winner’s dish will be served at Walt Disney World
- Rogue Trip, a travel guide to places an average tourist is least likely to visit
(Reporting by Lisa Richwine; Editing by Lisa Shumaker and Leslie Adler)
VentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative enterprise technology and transact. Discover our Briefings.