VentureBeat presents: AI Unleashed - An exclusive executive event for enterprise data leaders. Network and learn with industry peers. Learn More
Elon Musk’s plan to put humans on Mars in the next ten years looks a little more real today, with the release of a video teasing SpaceX’s “Interplanetary Transport System.”
While this is just a teaser clip — complete with dramatic, simulated visuals and space music — Musk is scheduled to reveal concrete information during a 30-minute press conference today at 11:30 a.m. PT (2:30 p.m. ET). The presentation will take place at the International Astronautical Federation in Guadalajara, Mexico.
You can watch Musk’s press conference live right here and via the embedded video below.
Update: The Takeaways
- #1: Elon Musk wants to “make humans a multiplanetary species” and build a city on Mars
- #2: This is where SpaceX’s Interplanetary Transport System comes in.
- #3: This is the ship SpaceX wants to build (the dot on the right is a person, for scale).
- #4: Musk estimates the price per trip will be be roughly the cost of buying a house in the U.S.
- #5: Musk hopes it will eventually take 30 days to get to Mars. There could be a pizzeria on the ship.
- #6: Musk on the trip to Mars: “It’ll be like, really fun to go.” Ideas include zero-gravity games, movies, and restaurants inside the ship.
- #7: Musk isn’t sure how SpaceX will fund the entire project. Also: Musk made a South Park joke during his presentation.
- #8: Here’s the timeline.
- #9: The first trips will be dangerous. Musk says the first travelers will have to ask themselves “are you ready to die?”
Update 11:38 a.m. PT: The event will start soon, says Musk.
Update 2:10 p.m. PT: Summary added
VentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative enterprise technology and transact. Discover our Briefings.