Missed the GamesBeat Summit excitement? Don't worry! Tune in now to catch all of the live and virtual sessions here.
Battlefield may shed its reputation as a fun series with broken multiplayer features thanks to the latest release in the franchise, and developer DICE is planning ongoing support to establish further goodwill among fans.
The studio published a blog today that details what it has in store for Battlefield 1 over the next several weeks. The company is free to jump right into these kinds of updates because, unlike Battlefield 4, the World War I shooter is not struggling with connection problems and bugs. Fans have had to deal with some EA server outages, and players are unhappy about that, but this is nothing like the lasting issues that plagued Battlefield 4 that disconnected players from matches and caused the game to crash despite the state of EA servers. This means fans can expect the return of specialized servers, changes to maps based on player feedback, and upcoming major event.
Here’s a look at what’s coming to Battlefield 1 soon:
- Hardcore servers are coming soon: This is a server where people can connect to get into a more intense version of Battlefield 1. It makes several changes to the game that makes everything more dangerous and realistic.
- Suez map is expanding: Players have complained about the balance of the Conquest mode on Suez, and DICE is now planning to spread out the action across five control points as opposed to three. The studio is also introducing an extra vehicle to each.
- Battlefest: Starting November 16, DICE is kicking off one of its Battlefest events that will reward players with log-in bonuses, unique items, community missions, and an official livestream.
- Fog of War custom game: As part of that Battlefest, DICE is also rolling out its first official custom game mode called Fog of War. This limits your information by reducing the range of the minimap and turning off player names.
- First update: The first major update is coming in November, according to DICE. It will address general improvements, but it will also enable a rent-a-server program, new custom games, and adjustments to matchmaking.
- New map: Giant’s Shadow is a free map that is coming out in December. It re-creates the Battle of Selle, so expect a chilly winter setting that shows the Germans on their heels.
Battlefield 1 is one of Electronic Arts’ biggest releases of the year, and Dice is clearly ready to do the work to keep fans around. New content, updates, and fixes are crucial to that ongoing engagement. And with inherent network troubles largely behind the franchise, this is an opportunity for Battlefield to make up more ground on Call of Duty.
GamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. Discover our Briefings.