Best E-Signature Software 2022 • 5 E-Signature Softwares Reviews
E-signature software is a perfect tool for streamlining business paperwork. Implementing it in the workflow makes document management and collaboration a breeze.
E-Signature Software Leaderboard 2022
What is e-signature software?
Ever since the majority of businesses have moved to the digital world, the natural course of action was for documentation to move to digital format too. This is especially true for companies working with other overseas businesses.
How does e-signature software work?
Even though e-signatures are easy to use nowadays, making the process simple has required a lot of effort to make them as secure as possible. That’s why many software tools rely on different types of security technologies and protocols. Here are a couple of protocols that make sure that e-signatures are secure.
- Hash function
- Public key cryptography
- Public key infrastructure (PKI)
- Certificate authority
- Digital certificates
- Pretty Good Privacy (PGP)
The above protocols are used to ensure that a certain document is securely signed. In essence, these protocols generate and attach a certain hash to a document when it is signed. The hash value makes the signed document unique. The hash is then encrypted with the sender’s private key and sent to the recipient
Then, the recipient decrypts the hash with the public key. It is necessary for the hash to match so the authentication process is successful.
All these protocols and processes are what make e-signatures valid in the business world.
Advantages & Applications
E-signature software tools use is growing year after year. It is no wonder, as there are numerous advantages and applications. Let’s explore them.
- Speed – Sending documents, printing and signing them, and then scanning and resending them is inefficient. With e-signature software, all this is taken care of in a couple of clicks. Signing a document and sending it back takes minutes.
- Costs – Shifting to digital cuts costs. There’s no more wasting paper and paying for mail.
- Legitimacy – These signatures are as legal as hard copies.
- Security – While someone can successfully forge your written signature, it is practically impossible for the digital one. E-signatures are more secure than hand-written ones.
- Storage – Once you start using e-signature software, you no longer have to worry about physically storing the contracts. You can keep all your documents on your computer or in the cloud.
- Versatility – Are you on your vacation and an important document needs a signature? You can do it from any device you have. Whether you are on a computer, tablet, or smartphone, you can sign the document.
- Non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) – This type of document is often used by a wide range of businesses. They can be signed with e-signatures.
- Noncompete clauses (NCCs) – Similarly to NDAs, NCCs can also be signed with digital signature.
- Bank documents – E-banking has become possible with the implementation of the e-signature. There are numerous bank documents that require a signature. You can do it seamlessly on the go.
- Business contracts – Besides the NDAs and NCCs, there are many other types of business contracts that can be signed digitally.
- School forms – Any school form that requires a signature can be signed electronically. This varies from one school to another, as not all of them have implemented e-signature systems.
What types of e-signature software are there?
The e-signature software market is very competitive. The majority of these software tools utilize similar protocols and technologies. However, they differ based on the niches for which they are made, which are as follows.
- Personal – There are free tools available to those who need to e-sign documents periodically. The good thing about these tools is that they also have affordable plans for those who need to sign documents more frequently. But don’t expect any advanced features with these tools.
- Small business – Even though they are affordable, these tools pack various business features. You can find e-signature tools created for specific types of businesses. For example, some tools are made solely for business-to-business (B2B) documentation.
- Enterprise – Like in many other industries, there are heavy-hitters in this one as well. Enterprise e-signature tools are aimed at big companies. They come with numerous features, making it easy for a corporation to streamline its signing process. That refers to both internal and external processes.
- Sales – Some of these tools are specially made for the sales industry. Their features are focused on simplifying and speeding up sales procedures.
- Feature-rich – When we say feature-rich, we mean e-signature software that is perfect for all types of users. They include a wide range of features. However, they come with higher costs.
These are the types of software tools to keep in mind. The only other way in which they might differ is whether or not they operate offline. There are only a couple of solutions that come with this kind of functionality. The others need internet access to work.
How E-Signature Software is Tested
Like any other product in the market, there are certain parameters according to which e-signature software is tested. They include the following.
There’s no point in getting a software tool that requires a degree to use.Everything should be intuitive from the moment you start using a program. The easier it is to understand and use a software tool, the better.
Businesses already rely on a wide range of software tools.
This one is simple: working with a software tool that packs a lot of features is always a better experience.
When it comes to software tools, you never know when you might need assistance from the brand’s customer support. This is one of the very important parameters when e-signature software is tested.
While you can’t test a product based on its price, price still plays an important role in product comparison. Once you pit them against each other, you can easily see which product brings its customers the most value.
What to Look for When Buying E-Signature Software
There are a couple of crucial things to pay attention to when planning to purchase e-signature software. Paying attention to them will help you more easily make the right choice.
Start off with platform compatibility. On what operations systems can the software be used? Is it available on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and other operating systems? This should be one of the first things to check. With more support, you can know that anyone who receives your documents can sign them without any issues.
Know your needs
Avoid spending money on unnecessary features. Explore your actual needs. How many documents will you be working with? With this in mind, you will pay more attention to finding a product that brings you the most value.
Explore the software tools you already use and whether they are compatible with the e-signature software. Opt for a solution that will integrate seamlessly into your existing workflow.
Different markets and industries have different compliance requirements. As signatures are sensitive information, the software you choose comes with compliance. For example, check whether the software includes General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance.
7 Most Popular E-Signature Software Brands
If you are looking for the most popular brands offering these software tools, the following are your options.
- Adobe Sign
- KeepSolid Sign
Internet Versus Retail Trade: Where should I buy my e-signature software?
Long gone are the days where every piece of software was sold on CD-ROMs. The best way to purchase e-signature software is online. While it might be possible to get a one-time purchase with some brands, most of them charge their users a monthly subscription. It might be best to get an annual plan, as they usually provide a discounted rate.
Advantages and Disadvantages Based on Customer Reviews
- App crashing – Many users have reported issues of apps crashing on their phones.
- Unresponsive customer support – Some brands’ customer support is not as responsive as customers would like them to be.
- Confusing guides – Some apps don’t include clear instructions about how to use their products.
- Not available on all platforms – Not all brands support cross-platform functionality.
- Integration challenges – For some users, integration is not as straightforward as advertised.
- Complicated user interface (UI) – UI is not well-designed by some brands.
- Lacking signature customizability – Not all brands support extensive signature customizability, and that’s something that many customers don’t like.
- Confusing mobile navigation – While the desktop version is easy to navigate, some brands’ design language does not translate well to the software’s mobile version.
- Only some features available on the go – Not all features are available on the mobile app.
- Dropped connection – Some apps experience connection drops, requiring users to work on their documents twice, as they don’t get saved.
- Seamless integration – Making the e-signature software work with their other tools is often a smooth process.
- Video instructions – Some brands include videos to instruct people how to use their software, which many customers love.
- Straightforward collaboration – Working with multiple colleagues on signing documents is simple. That’s something that customers find very useful.
- Cross-platform support – This feature is greatly praised, as many people enjoy being able to sign documents on the go.
- Stable performance – Many brands successfully deliver stable performance. That means that customers can confidently rely on tools such as these.
- Responsive customer support – Customer support is responsive and helpful for many customers.
- Easy to use – The majority of these tools are very user-friendly.
- Free plan – The option of a free plan for a few documents per month is appreciated by many.
- Simple user interface (UI) – Many customers stress how intuitive some apps’ UI is.
- Extensive documentation – Some brands provide extremely detailed guides, helping customers understand their product better.
Interesting Facts & Advice
History of E-Signature Software
Truly transformative years for e-signature software were 1999 and 2000. The 1999 milestone was the support for embedding digital signatures in PDF documents. Additionally, what really propelled the development of these software tools was the E-Sign Act. The Act made e-signature legally binding, granting much-needed encouragement to digital signature development.
Today, e-signature software has become a booming industry with a global span. It has changed the way businesses work.
Anticipated Growth Figures for E-Signature Software
Over the last decade, the great shift to cloud computing has changed how businesses work. Like plenty of other software tools, e-signature software has also moved to the cloud. As an increasing number of businesses make the digital move, the need for electronic signatures has skyrocketed. To be precise, the market is expected to grow to over $9 million at an incredible rate of 34.7% by 2023.
Install E-Signature Software Correctly in 5 Steps
3 Tips for Care
What is the best e-signature software?
There are numerous brands that offer e-signature software solutions. Each of them comes with great features; find the best ones toward the top of our text.
How is e-signature software used?
Every tool comes with different guidelines. However, for the majority of them, you will have to register and download the software to start using it.
What is e-signature software?
It is much like a regular signature, except that the e-signature is an electronic version (thus the E).
Why use e-signatures?
E-signatures remove the unnecessary use of paper, and the process of printing, signing, and scanning documents. In the end, this saves time. On top of that, it is also more secure than a regular signature.
Can e-signatures be forged?
There are multiple layers of e-signature security. Forging one is nearly impossible.
How can e-signatures be made on a Mac?
Find e-signature software that caters to Mac users, register, and install it on your Mac.
How can e-signatures be used on an iPhone?
Download one of the many available e-signature apps, register, and sign any document you want.
Are e-signatures legally binding?
Yes, e-signatures are legally binding. Therefore, in the eyes of the law, it carries the same weight as a regular signature.
How is an e-signature created?
Use the online tools to use e-signature software free of charge. One such tool is Docsketch. In case you prefer any other tool, simply access it from your computer, tablet, or phone, and use it to make your digital signatures.
Are e-signatures safe?
Yes, electronic signatures come with several layers of security.
Further Links and Sources
The product recommendations in this article are made solely by the sponsor and are not recommendations made by VentureBeat.