Best Gaming Keyboard under 50 2022 • 10 Gaming Keyboards under 50 Reviews
The barrier that prevents most from having a perfect gaming experience is the price tag. That’s why today, we’re looking at top gaming keyboards under $50.
Gaming Keyboard under 50 Leaderboard 2022
What’s a gaming keyboard?
In the late 1990s, just as first-person shooter games began booming, the world saw a significant increase in PC gamers. With more gamers came a larger need for game-oriented hardware. That’s when the first game-inspired keyboards hit the market.
Over the years, as technology has progressed, gaming keyboards have started becoming more and more sophisticated. Companies began catering to gamers.
Today, gaming keyboards are high-quality pieces of hardware that look and function better than your run-of-the-mill keyboard. They usually have mechanical switches, are made out of sturdy materials, and have all sorts of game-enhancing functions.
They can be quite expensive. But thanks to the advancements in technology and increase in manufacturing, you can now find gaming keyboards for under $50.
How does a gaming keyboard work?
Most gaming keyboards are mechanical. That means, when a gamer presses down on a keycap, they activate a real, physical switch. What’s more, these switches are spring-loaded and made of metal.
When you press a key on a mechanical gaming keyboard, not only do you feel it, but you also hear an audible click. The noise lets you know that the key has been pressed hard enough for the computer to register it.
Advantages and Applications
What types of gaming keyboards are out there?
While they come in lots of different colors and shapes, when it comes down to it, there are only two types of gaming keyboards under $50: rubber dome and mechanical keyboards. Let’s analyze the difference between the two.
Rubber dome keyboards
These have membranes covered with rubber domes under each key. As you press a key down, the dome is pushed down and closes a graphite circuit and sends a signal to the computer that the key has been pressed.
Armed with dozens of small, spring-loaded mechanisms, these keyboards remind the user of old typewriters with their clicking sounds. Pressing the keys closes the switches that send signals to your PC.
How Gaming Keyboards Are Tested
Gaming keyboards under $50 are tested the same way as ones over $1,000 are. Here’s what you need to know about how gaming keyboard testing is done.
- Clean the testing surface – Before the keyboard is tested, the workspace is completely cleaned by the person in charge of testing.
- Connecting the keyboard to a PC – Once brought out, the keyboard is connected to a computer that won’t affect its performance.
- Launching switch-testing software – To ensure that every single key is working properly, the tester will use special switch-testing software.
- Testing each switch one by one – In the end, each switch will be also tested by the examiner manually to make sure that it works.
What to Look for When Buying a Gaming Keyboard
As with everything, some specific things separate gaming keyboards under $50 from others on the market. Here are a few things you should keep an eye on when shopping.
- Keys – If the keys are too stiff, your gaming experience won’t be enjoyable.
- Connectivity – Depending on your needs, select a cable or wireless keyboard.
- Compatibility – Make sure that the keyboard is compatible with your PC.
- Extra buttons – Based on game type, you may need to look for extra buttons.
- Dimensions – You need to find a keyboard that will fit your gaming station perfectly.
Internet Versus Retail Trade: Where should I buy my gaming Keyboard?
Should you go out to a store and buy a gaming keyboard for under $50 or should you simply order it online? Both approaches have their positive and negative aspects.
The best option for you would be to go out, try a few keyboards in person, and once you decide, go back and order it online. That way, you’ll have the best of both worlds.
Advantages and Disadvantages Based on Customer Reviews
No matter how much buying a cheap keyboard may seem like a good idea, you should still research it thoroughly. Here are ten advantages and disadvantages of gaming keyboards under $50 that will help you with your purchasing decision.
10 Advantages of Gaming Keyboards
- Gaming keyboards have long lifespans – You can play games and work as a full-time writer and your keyboard will last you years.
- Key switches rarely wear out – After a few years, the keys will work the same as they did when you first bought the keyboard.
- You’ll improve gaming as well as typing – As you adjust your actuation point, you’ll be able to improve gaming and typing accuracy.
- Your fingers won’t hurt when playing games – While the keys feel sturdy, they aren’t hard on your fingers, so no worries about soreness.
- Access to additional features – From pause buttons to colorful lighting, gaming keyboards have a variety of additional functions.
- Create more results with less force – These keys require less force to press, so you can improve your results while saving up energy.
- Improved response time – When you find yourself in the middle of a game, you’ll notice that your response time is better.
- Register more simultaneous key presses – Most mechanical gaming keyboards come with N-key rollover for more registered key presses.
- Enjoy more stability – Since mechanical keyboards are heavier, they sit more stably on your desk.
- Keys will never stick – If you’re fed up with keys getting stuck, you’re in luck. With a mechanical keyboard, you won’t have to worry about it any longer.
10 Disadvantages of Gaming Keyboards
- Gaming keyboards are often loud – You can know that someone is a proud owner of a gaming keyboard from a mile away due to noise from typing.
- They aren’t suitable outside the house – Because of their loudness and size, they are made for use at home and not at the office.
- Increased height – If you’re used to regular keyboards, you’ll need some time to adjust to the height of a gaming keyboard.
- Increased weight – The increased weight will add pressure to your table and may leave permanent scratches that will need fixing.
- May affect typing for the worse – You might start typing slower because mechanical keyboards emulate old typewriters.
- Mac is less frequently supported – Apple users may have a harder time finding a cheap gaming keyboard than their PC-owning counterparts.
- Difficult to find for non-English speakers – People who type using different language characters also have problems finding cheap solutions for their gaming needs.
- Some DIY skills are required – Keyboard maintenance and customization do require some technical know-how, so be prepared for extra work.
- Cleaning takes time – Cleaning may not be all that hard, but it still takes at least a couple of hours.
- Still more expensive than membrane keyboards – People working on a modest budget might want to look elsewhere for the cheapest option.
Interesting Facts and Advice about Gaming Keyboards
No one wants to buy a boring product. Luckily, there are tons of interesting facts about gaming keyboards. Here a few things that might pique your interest in gaming keyboards under $50.
- The QWERTY keyboard is now more than 150 years old.
- Mechanical keyboards are designed to last longer than rubber dome ones.
- J and F buttons have small horizontal lines that make touch-typing easier.
- On average, the space bar is the most widely used key, followed by the letter E.
- Although most people are right-handed, the left hand is responsible for 56% of keystrokes.
History of the Gaming Keyboard
Even though we look at our keyboards hundreds of times a day, we rarely stop and think about where they come from. The history of gaming keyboards might be short, but it’s still interesting.
- The color-schemed Alienware Area 51 keyboard was released for gamers in 1998.
- In the early 2000s, Logitech issued the G15, the first distinctive gaming keyboard.
- Then in 2004, SteelSeries released the 6G gaming keyboard, followed by 7G in 2007.
- In 2008, Gigabyte launched the first mechanical gaming keyboard on the market.
- Razer began taking over the keyboard gaming industry in 2010.
Figures, Data, and Facts about the Gaming Keyboard
Since we already took a look at the interesting facts and history of gaming keyboards, it’s time to go through the numbers. Here are some interesting figures from the gaming keyboard industry.
- Every second, the space bar is hit around 600,000 times around the world.
- Speaking of the space bar, it’s responsible for 18% of all keystrokes.
- With 41% of the entire market, the PC is the most popular platform amongst gamers.
- At the moment, there are approximately 104 gaming keyboards available on the market.
- More than 1.5 million Steam gamers use a keyboard to play.
Install a Gaming Keyboard in 4 Steps
When you find a gaming keyboard under $50, you’re left with enough money to satisfy all of your gaming needs. Here’s how to set up your own gaming station in four easy steps.
Place your keyboard at elbow height to prevent bad posture.
Install a monitor mount on your wall and place the keyboard beneath it.
Add supporters to your mouse pad and keyboard to rest the wrists.
Get a chair that allows you to put the keyboard in your lap when needed.
5 Tips for Care
Just like everything else, gaming keyboards will get dirty after a while, especially if you play games all the time. Here are a few tips for taking care of your keyboard.
Disconnect your keyboard from the computer.
Use a keycap puller to remove all of the caps.
Add hot water and soap to a bowl.
Place the caps in the bowl and scrub them.
Use a cloth to dry thoroughly and reattach the caps to the keyboard.
Over the years, video games have become so sophisticated that there are multiple tools available to help with immersing yourself completely. Here are some useful accessories that will go perfectly with your gaming keyboard for under $50.
- In addition to a mechanical keyboard, you can also get a SteelSeries mechanical mouse.
- Purchase YoRHa gloves designed specifically for gaming to protect your hands.
- Buy a headpiece that’s lightweight and comfortable to wear for hours of gaming.
Here are some frequently asked questions about gaming keyboards under $50.
What is a gaming keyboard?
A gaming keyboard is a keyboard designed and built specifically with gaming in mind. Typically, gaming keyboards have mechanical key switches and additional buttons for gaming.
Are mechanical gaming keyboards worth it?
In the past, mechanical gaming keyboards would cost a few hundred dollars. Now you can find them for less than $50, increasing their overall value.
Why are mechanical keyboards better?
Are there any semi-mechanical keyboards?
There’s no such thing as a semi-mechanical keyboard. Generally speaking, keyboards are either mechanical or not. This is just a marketing ploy that you shouldn’t fall for.
What should I look for in a gaming keyboard?
You should look for build quality and durability. A gaming keyboard is a long-term investment that should last you for at least five years. Choose your gaming keyboard wisely.
Alternatives to Gaming Keyboards
Whether it’s due to dexterity problems, lack of comfort, or in some cases, disability, there are people out there that don’t want to play PC games on keyboards. Fortunately, there are some alternatives on the market.
The Steam Controller has a steep learning curve, but it’s a great option for a keyboard replacement. Purchase the PlayStation Move Navigation Controller and connect it to your PC for gaming.
The product recommendations in this article are made solely by the sponsor and are not recommendations made by VentureBeat.