Best Gaming Mouse Pad 2021 • 9 Gaming Mouse Pads Reviews
A gaming mouse pad might not be the most important part of your gaming setup, but it can surely add up to the whole experience. A good gaming mouse pad might not help you amp up accuracy or shooting skills, but it can affect the quality of gaming. After tons of comparisons, reading, and browsing, we were able to dig up some of the best gaming mouse pad options for our fellow gamers.
Gaming Mouse Pad Leaderboard 2021
What is a gaming mouse pad?
A gaming mouse pad is a surface on which a gaming mouse is used. Unlike a regular mouse pad, a gaming pad is designed to help the player improve gaming performance.
How does a gaming mouse pad work?
The gaming mouse pad works like all the other regular ones you can find. The materials and designs used to create a gaming one might differ from other pads one can find out there. The goal of these mouse pads for gamers is to protect the desk surface, make the cursor move effortlessly, and avoid gamer’s annoyance.
Advantages and Applications
According to various gaming mouse pad tests, they turn out to have quite a few benefits—and most gaming enthusiasts will agree on that. First of all, they offer great peripheral control, which is one of the most important parts of gaming. When in-game, a player could use all the help to gain control over the circumstances as video games are getting increasingly demanding as the years pass. This is where this seemingly unimportant piece of gaming equipment can come in handy.
Gaming requires a lot of concentration. Professional gamers sometimes need to remove all the potential obstacles to be able to show their skill level. Equipment problems could be disruptive and annoying, and they can even affect the player’s performance. Hard-core gamers know that that piece of cloth, foam, plastic, or whatever, could be responsible for their in-game performance levels. However, increasing performance levels is not the last advantage there is.
Gaming setup customization is the secret obsession of almost every gamer out there. This is possible with various pieces of equipment, including a mouse pad. The XL mouse pads can cover a great deal of desk surface, making it look themed and professional. Besides, it can be used to cover up scratches on a desk and protect other pieces of hardware from unnecessary wear and tear.
What types of gaming mouse pads are out there?
In terms of size, there are several different types of gaming mouse pads. No matter how limited you are with your desk space, you will probably be able to find a suitable size for you. The sizes vary from small or regular ones to large, extra-large, and sometimes even custom-made.
In addition, there are so many different shapes, but the most common ones are rectangular and square. The third most popular shape is circular, and players can always opt for a variety of customized, irregular shapes. Yet again, one can choose the most convenient option according to personal needs.
The base thickness is also used to categorize mouse pads. Extra thin pads can have a very slim base starting at 2 mm (or 0.08 inches), which is great for gamers who love the low-profile look. Moving on to the standard base thickness of 3 mm (0.12 inches), which is not too thin, but it also isn’t on the thicker side. All heavy-based pads go from 5 mm (0.2 inches) and provide a more comfortable feel.
Gaming mouse pads can have different levels of sturdiness, varying from soft to hard. Different materials used to design one can contribute to this.
The sturdy ones include the following.
- Stainless steel
The softer ones include the following.
Additionally, you can support your wrist by investing in a gaming mouse pad with a wrist rest pillow. Repetitive mechanical motions gamers make can lead to wrist tenosynovitis due to overuse and fatigue. This completely individual problem can be reduced by using a wrist rest pillow mouse pad.
How a Gaming Mouse Pad is Tested
To find the gaming mouse pad test winner for you, you will have to keep certain criteria in the back of your mind. The three most important parts of a mouse pad are its surface, base, and edge finish. The synergy of the three parts and the perfect balance is what makes a great mouse pad. Take a look at some of the most important features to which you should pay attention when buying your next gaming mouse pad.
- Surface friction level
- Base slip level
- Comfort and durability
- Physical appearance
What to Look For When Buying a Gaming Mouse pad
One of the first gaming mouse pad test parameters when buying this piece of gaming equipment is the price–performance ratio. In case the mouse pad is on the pricey side, it is likely that the materials used to make it are durable and of high quality. However, many manufacturers add unhelpful characteristics just to sell.
Choosing the right kind of style is completely individual and it all depends on what the gamer loves. There are many plain, monochrome models, others feature a print or a theme, or even RGB lights. So, choosing any particular style is ultimately a matter of taste.
Gamer’s expectations and needs
Depending on the type of games you play, you might prefer a different mouse pad. For example, FPS-type games might require a mouse pad that allows faster movements and less friction. If you are an MMO gamer, you might need a bigger surface to access your skills and weapons more easily.
Best Gaming Mouse Pad Brands
Internet Versus Retail Trade: Where should I buy my gaming mouse pad?
It is always better to purchase a gaming mouse pad online. First of all, you can manage a limited series product as soon as it appears in the online store. Secondly, many brands offer an additional discount for completing purchases online and they usually have some web-only products. Plus, the product will be delivered to your doorstep, so you won’t have to even leave your home to buy one.
Advantages and Disadvantages Based on Customer Reviews
Stitching causes it to not lay flat
- Some mouse pads have stitches on the edge that might cause the surface to be slightly lifted. It can disturb gamers who tend to spend a lot of time playing.
Undoing the roll-up is difficult
- Shipping items such as a gaming mouse pad might include rolling the item. Sometimes unpacking could get difficult and the product might become creased.
- Mouse pads can be made from various materials, and sometimes the quality of those materials will affect the overall quality of the product. Many reviews criticize the poor quality of stitches, surfaces, foam, plastic, and other parts.
Great pad, smells bad
- Reviews including a complaint of peculiar smell of gaming mouse pads are quite common. Sometimes this can be due to the material the manufacturer used to create the pad or even packaging and storage problems.
Coloring is not as in pictures
- This is often the most common type of reviews related to the product. If a gaming mouse mat has a print on it it might not look the same as on the picture once it arrives. The inability to create product images that can depict the colors and look of the product is one great setback.
- Mouse mats that say “Speed Edition” might have low performance due to bad texture and surface bumps. Too much friction will slow down the mouse, which might be a problem in low-quality gaming products.
If you like a noisy pad, this is for you
- Yet again, different materials used for the surface level of a mouse pad can cause a lot of noise. Buyers who prefer a quiet environment while playing should definitely pay attention to this one.
- When a mouse pad has tracking issues, it is usually a really bad sign. It is either of really poor quality or it is not compatible with your mouse.
- Gaming mouse pads come in various sizes and buyers sometimes ignore that. Make sure to carefully read the description of a product and order the size that will meet your expectations.
- Gaming mouse mats can be quite comfortable, especially if they come with wrist support add-ins. The softer and thicker the mat, the more comfortable it can be.
- The main goal of a pro gaming mouse pad is that it has just enough friction and that it allows the mouse to glide perfectly.
- Another common review regarding the advantages of a gaming mouse pad is that it allows players to be in full control while playing games. This might be the single most important advantage of any product from this category.
Good value for money
- When a piece of gaming equipment doesn’t disappoint users, they tend to feel fortunate for making the purchase. If the quality of a product is great and the price is on the lower side, that is always a plus.
- Mats made by companies such as Razer put in a lot of effort into making their RGB products convenient for use.
Super comfortable and big enough for a whole desk
- Most brands make their mouse mats in various sizes, including XXL, which can cover the majority of most desk surfaces.
Stitching is well done
- When done properly, stitching can add to the cosmetics of a mouse pad without bothering the user. If high-quality threads are used, stitching will remain flawless even after many hours of use.
Looks exactly like the picture
- When a premium brand offers its product online, the buyers get what they see.
Great looks and function
- The design and the functionality of a gaming mouse pad can be well-balanced and these are usually the high-rated products.
A great solution to a typical mouse pad
- Gaming mouse mats can be quite different from the standard ones. This is why users who switch from basic to pro can feel the difference immediately.
The History of Gaming Mouse Pads
The mouse that was designed in that period, the Xerox ball mouse, had a cathode ray tube pointer and a ball (metal). It was hard using one without a mouse pad, plus, all sorts of residue and dirt would stick to the ball. Later on, the first manufacturer of mouse pads, MousTrak, appeared. Even if it used to be a luxury product, it became affordable in the 1980s as low-cost mouse pads started appearing on the market.
Figures, Data, and Facts about Gaming Mouse Pads
Here are some interesting facts and dates related to gaming mouse pads.
The first time the term mouse pad was supposedly used was on August 24, 1983. The Oxford Dictionary was able to go back to this date and find the term in an InfoWorld publication. In addition to that, the British term mousemat was tracked back to October 17, 1989.
The first time a mouse pad was presented along with the Xerox ball mouse, it consisted of rubber-like material attached to a hard base. The hard base was there to keep the top surface flat, and the lower side of the base had rubber pads to avoid sliding off the desk.
In 2017, Healthline made an observation that if one does not clean the mouse pad for over four months, the accuracy of the cursor tends to decrease. This is why it is so important to keep the mouse pad clean.
Apple distributed MousTrak’s mouse pads all across the US with an Apple logo in the 1980s. During its prime time, MousTrak collaborated with Paramount, Lucasfilm, and Disney.
Install a Gaming Mouse Pad Correctly in 4 Steps
When buying a mouse pad, you will need to place it on your desk surface correctly. Here’s how to do it.
10 Tips for Care
Pieces of equipment such as gaming mouse pads usually don’t have many accessories. However, we managed to find a few.
Are gaming mouse pads different from regular mouse pads?
Gaming mouse pads should provide better control, optimal friction, and an overall better gaming experience than regular mouse pads.
Which gaming mouse pads are the best?
Selecting one product as the ultimate one is difficult. What makes a mouse pad good is the synthesis of the unique characteristics that a certain gamer is looking for.
Is a gaming mouse pad necessary for gaming?
No. A gaming mouse pad is not a necessary part of your gaming equipment. However, some players cannot play without one and further claim that they notice better results when using one.
What is a good gaming mouse pad?
Are gaming mouse pads expensive?
The price of gaming mouse pads can vary from very cheap ones to lux versions. It all comes down to the brand and how much one is willing to pay.
Where can I buy gaming mouse pads?
If you don’t feel like going to the nearest PC equipment store, you can buy your new gaming mouse pad online.
Can gaming-specific pads be used for anything other than gaming?
Sure. Gaming-specific mouse pads can be used for any kind of activity needed to be done on a PC or laptop.
Why are gaming mouse pads so big?
Most FPS gamers will adjust their mouse sensitivity to low. With such settings and a small pad surface, it would be quite difficult to play and achieve any success.
What are gaming mouse pads made of?
Most gaming mouse mats are made out of rubber composites, fabric, leather, or plastic.
Are hard mouse pads good for gaming?
Alternatives to Gaming Mouse Pads
Here are some of the gaming mouse pad alternatives gamers sometimes use.
A thicker magazine might work as a temporary substitute for a mouse pad, but don’t expect much.
A placemat with a nice smooth surface could be a short-term substitute, as well.
If you have an old box made out of fine cardboard, you might want to try that out.
The product recommendations in this article are made solely by the sponsor and are not recommendations made by VentureBeat.