VentureBeat presents: AI Unleashed - An exclusive executive event for enterprise data leaders. Network and learn with industry peers. Learn More

The tech press has been teeing off on Google recently, ridiculing the company’s core motto, “Don’t Be Evil”, as it compromises its foundational product, search, in the name of social media. But when it comes to the average American, Google is still the most loved tech company by a wide margin.

A recent poll conducted by ABC and The Washington Post found that a staggering 82 percent of people had a favorable impression of Google, with the remaining 18 percent split between “unfavorable” and “don’t know.”

Even Google CEO Larry Page recently acknowledged that it’s tough for massive global corporations to connect with their users. “We have always wanted Google to be a company that is deserving of great love. But we recognize this is an ambitious goal because most large companies are not well-loved, or even seemingly set up with that in mind,” he wrote in his letter to investors.

Apple, despite its troubles with Foxconn, also nabbed a very high rating, with 74 percent feeling favorably towards the company. When it comes to the straight social media business, there is a lot more tough love. Facebook only managed a 58 percent favorability rating, and a full 28 percent of people felt negatively towards the company.

The company with its work really cut out for it is Twitter, where 36 of people felt negatively about the company, compared 34 percent who liked it and 31 percent who didn’t know. While those in the media and tech circles may think of Twitter as ubiquitous, these numbers show that it is still not well known or well liked among average Americans.

h/t to The Atlantic

VentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative enterprise technology and transact. Discover our Briefings.