So not cool: Rebecca Black video caught up in legal dispute

It’s Saturday, Saturday — a good time for an update on Rebecca Black, whose “Friday” video irritated folks so much. The YouTube sensation is now in a dispute with the ARK Music Factory, which helped Black create the video and posted it on its YouTube account.

13-year-old Black is evidently complaining that the company is exploiting her image. She became a cultural icon in a not-so-good way because of her saccharine music video, which took off on the internet. Now, the YouTube video that made her famous and amassed 167 million views has been taken down. We have our fingers crossed that this great work of art can be restored to YouTube at some point.

The video became an instant hit because people enjoyed making fun of it. The sensation catapulted Black to an appearance on Jay Leno’s Tonight Show. The song reached No. 58 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart, was covered by Justin Bieber, and was performed on Glee.

The message on the video link says, “This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Rebecca Black.” Earlier this week, the video had been set up as a $2.99 YouTube video rental by ARK Music Factory, which runs the YouTube account.

A representative of ARK told TMZ, “We’re disappointed, having been in good faith negotiations with Rebecca Black and her representatives for months regarding any open issues. There’s been an ongoing, open dialogue with our company. So we were blindsided to get a Take Down Notice — with no notice — alleging copyright infringement instead of a call or email from Rebecca’s representatives. We are going to continue to take the high road and work out the complaint as soon as possible.”

Black’s Friday video has had more views than Lady Gaga’s Born This Way video, which has been viewed more than 60 million times.

And the update: the Rebecca Black video is back up on Vevo today.