How can big data and smart analytics tools ignite growth for your company? Find out at DataBeat, May 19-20 in San Francisco, from top data scientists, analysts, investors, and entrepreneurs. Register now and save $200!
Walter Isaacson’s biography of Apple visionary Steve Jobs has topped Amazon’s list of best-selling books for 2011, with print and Kindle e-books sales combined.
The death of former Apple CEO Steve Jobs was one of the biggest news stories of 2011, and interest for Isaacson’s 656-page book on Jobs spiked when it was released just weeks after Jobs passed. Isaacson made a lengthy appearance on 60 Minutes a few days before the book was released, adding to the hype. Amazon had a slight leg up on the competition in sales because the Kindle version went live several hours before the book went on sale.
Other top sellers on the list including Tina Fey’s tell-all “Bossypants”, George R.R. Martin’s fantasy page-turner “A Dance with Dragons”, and courtroom drama “The Litigators” by John Grisham. Two stand-outs on the list are “The Mill River Recluse” by Darcie Chan and “The Abbey” by Chris Culver, books that were not released in print and only sold on the Kindle as e-books. Those two books are showing how powerful Kindle Direct Publishing can be compared to traditional publishing.
Amazon’s top 10 best-selling books of the year are:
1. “Steve Jobs” by Walter Isaacson
2. “Bossypants” by Tina Fey
3. “A Stolen Life” by Jaycee Dugard
4. “The Mill River Recluse” by Darcie Chan
5. “In the Garden of the Beasts” by Erik Larson
6. “A Dance with Dragons” by George R.R. Martin
7. “The Paris Wife” by Paula McLain
8. “The Litigators” by John Grisham
9. “The Abbey” by Chris Culver
10. “Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle)” by Christopher Paolini