With the launch of Google Drive today, many of the rumors and leaks surrounding the new service have been dispelled, and instead replaced with (mostly) concrete answers. One of the leaks concerning third-party integration turned out to be true, with Google courting a number of partners behind-the-scenes in time for the Drive launch.
Overall, 18 services have modified their applications to work with Google Drive in some fashion. One of our favorite up-and-coming cloud companies — and former DEMOGod winner — WeVideo, has even joined the party to bring its collaborative video editing to Drive. Another cool Drive integration partner is HelloFax, which promises free online faxing and document signing.
This is a great start for the service, but development options are quite limited. For now, Drive’s SDK and APIs are only available to Web apps, which people must install on their Google Drive account through the Chrome Web Store. As the service becomes more pervasive, I have no doubt other apps will join the party, thus opening the APIs to include mobile apps.
Here’s the list of the 18 services that have integrated with Drive from Day 1:
- AutoCad WS – Creative Tools – Open AutoCAD files (dwg) from Google Drive.
- Aviary – Creative Tools – Simple image editor for images stored in Google Drive
- Balsamiq Mockups – Creative Tools – Create mockups and user interface sketches. Open and share mockups using Google Drive.
- Desmos – Productivity – An HTML5 social graphing calculator. Create and store graphs in Google Drive.
- DocuSign – Productivity – Get signatures on documents stored in Google Drive and save signed documents back to Drive.
- Floorplanner – Creative Tools – Create and edit floorplans from your browser. Render floorplans as 3D models and save images back to Google Drive.
- Gantter – Productivity – Manage complex projects on the web. Create, open, and save project plans back to Google Drive. Gantter also works with Microsoft Project files.
- HelloFax – Productivity – Sign and fax documents from your Google Drive. Signed and faxed documents are saved to Drive for easy reference.
- Lucidchart – Productivity – Online diagramming and flowchart tool. Create, open, and save Lucidchart drawings from Google Drive. Lucidchart also works with Visio diagrams
- Lulu – Productivity – Publish print and eBooks from documents in your Google Drive.
- MindMeister – Productivity – Create and edit mind maps. Share mind maps from Google Drive and collaborate in real-time.
- Nivio – Productivity – Open and edit Microsoft Office files in their native application from the web browser.
- Pixlr Editor & Pixlr Express – Creative Tools – Open and edit images from Google Drive from your browser
- Pixorial – Video – Open and share media files, edit videos, and share projects from Google Drive
- Revisu – Productivity – Collaborative markup and feedback for the creative review process. Open files with Revisu and collaborate and share with Google Drive.
- SlideRocket – Productivity – Create and edit presentations from the browser. Import PowerPoint or PDF files.
- Smartsheet – Productivity – Manage and collaborate on projects. Create and open Smartsheets from Google Drive, and attach files from Drive to projects. Smartsheet also works with Microsoft Project and Excel files and Google spreadsheets.
- WeVideo – Video – Open, edit, produce HD video from Google Drive.
VentureBeat is creating an index of the top 'arms merchants' of the cloud. Take a look at our initial suggestions and complete the survey to help us build a definitive index. We’ll publish the official index later this month, and for those who fill out surveys, we’ll send you an expanded report free of charge.