It’s often said the third time’s the charm. With Verizon’s just-announced HTC Droid Incredible 4G, the third incarnation of this Android smartphone, both Verizon and HTC hope they have a winner.
The device debuts just ahead of the CTIA Wireless convention in New Orleans, at a time when HTC is desperately struggling in the global smartphone market. Over the past few years, HTC’s usually slick Android phones have lost their luster compared to Samsung’s even slicker offerings. In the last quarter alone, HTC’s revenue dropped by 35 percent year-over-year, so the company needs to up its game to bring consumers back to its brand.
But even if it’s financials are terrible, at least HTC appears to be focusing on creating quality devices again. The HTC One S on T-Mobile and One X on AT&T are among the best Android devices on the market now.
HTC’s Droid Incredible 4G features all the things you’d expect from a next-gen Android smartphone and maybe a little extra. It will run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and feature a 4-inch “Super LCD” screen with 960 x 540 resolution and an 8-megapixel camera. The device will get an extra power boost from its 1.2-GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor, which is far fast than previous dual-core chips.
A full list of specs for the new phone can be found below:
• Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
• 4-inch super LCD qHD display
• 8 megapixel rear-facing camera with autofocus, LED flash, BSI, f/2.2, and 28 mm lens
• Front-facing camera for video chatting with friends and family
• 1.2 GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor
• Mobile Hotspot capable to share 4G LTE connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
• 8GB of internal storage
• Support for up to 32 GB microSD card
• 1,700 mAh lithium-ion removable battery
As for pricing and availability, HTC and Verizon are mum. Verizon said the phone will be available in “the coming weeks.” Based on similar phones, we’d expect the device to retail between $200 and $300 with a two-year contract.
Mobile developer or publisher? VentureBeat is studying mobile marketing automation.
Fill out our 5-minute survey
, and we'll share the data with you.