Bookseller Barnes & Noble has debuted Nook for Web, a way to read Nook titles through a browser without having to download software, the company announced today.
Barnes & Noble is in the middle of an e-reading war with Amazon and its Kindle reader, which has apps across nearly every platform, including PCs, Mac, iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. So B&N needs to stay on top of the game in terms of its offerings. Unfortunately, the new Nook app does not work for the iPad’s mobile Safari browser, but you can still download the Nook app for iPad for reading on the device.
Nook for Web’s features include:
• Enjoy free samples of the majority of Nook Books and begin reading with just a click on the “Read Instantly” icon. There’s no need to sign in, create an account or download additional software in order to sample content. Nook for Web supports all PC and Mac-supported Web browsers, including Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
• Get lost in a great read with the realistic book-like layout, including clear page numbers at the bottom of each screen and an innovative slider allowing users to easily track the number of pages remaining in a chapter or quickly scroll to another section.
• Customize the reading experience using the intuitive navigation bar. Choose between eight fonts and eight font sizes and a single- or double-page layout. Simply collapse the navigation bar once preferences are selected to reveal a clean, easy-to-read page.
• Rate, review, and share thoughts or recommend books via Twitter, Facebook, or e-mail without even leaving the book.
• Access more information about the book while reading, plus thousands of helpful editorial and customer reviews at your fingertips.
• Learn what to read next with personalized recommendations from Barnes & Noble’s expert booksellers — from must-read new releases to up-and-coming authors — all in the customizable Shop window.
• Shop from the ever-expanding Nook Store, buy Nook Books in seconds (the majority for $9.99 or less), and select purchases right from your personal Nook Library to open and begin reading from any Web browser.
If you try out Nook for Web before July 26, you will get six free titles, including The Vow, Sex and the City, and Map of Bones.
Photo credit: Barnes & Noble
Our upcoming GrowthBeat event — August 5-6 in San Francisco — is exploring the data, apps, and science of successful marketing. Get the scoop here, and grab your tickets before they're gone!