Apple just released the latest update to its mobile operating system for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. iOS 6.0.1 includes a number of bug fixes and updates, and it weighs in at pretty much a gigabyte.
Update: if you install directly to your iPhone over WiFi, the update is only about 70 MB, as two of our readers have commented. Downloaded via iTunes, the package is much bigger.
The update fixes an issue that blocked iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly while not connected to iTunes, a more serious problem that could block iPhones from accessing cellular networks (in other words, acting like a phone), and a Wi-FI connection issue for both iPhone 5 and the 5th-generation iPod Touch.
Here’s the full list of upgrades from Apple:
- Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air
- Fixes a bug where horizontal lines may be displayed across the keyboard
- Fixes an issue that could cause camera flash to not go off
- Improves reliability of iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation) when connected to encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi networks
- Resolves an issue that prevents iPhone from using the cellular network in some instances
- Consolidated the Use Cellular Data switch for iTunes Match
- Fixes a Passcode Lock bug which sometimes allowed access to Passbook pass details from lock screen
- Fixes a bug affecting Exchange meetings
This has got to be one of the larger iOS updates in recent memory — especially for a point release. iOS 6 itself was only about 600 megabytes, and iOS 5.1.1 was only 40-50 megabytes, although size does vary by device that is getting updated.
Get it soon … even Apple’s update servers could soon be inundated with an update of this size.
photo credit: maaco via photopin cc
Like this story? Want to learn more? On April 14-15, our fourth annual VentureBeat Mobile Summit will tackle the six biggest growth opportunities in mobile today. The invitation-only Summit will gather the top 180 executives at the scenic Cavallo Point Resort in Sausalito, Calif., to discuss issues like this. Request an invitation.