Technology advancement is disrupting the $3 trillion health care market, and VentureBeat’s upcoming HealthBeat event will showcase (on the second day) the most interesting health care IT startups and companies that are driving this change.
Today we’re pleased to announce the opening of the application process for our “Grand Rounds Innovation Showdown,” one of the highlights of our inaugural HealthBeat conference (May 20-21) at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco.
We are calling the contest “Grand Rounds,” after the name of the traditional ritual used in medical education and inpatient care, where doctors, medical students and patients are involved in the process of medical education. Similarly, we’ll have a patient join our panel of investors and other experts who will judge the competition. Judges will be announced soon.
Criteria for the Grand Rounds Innovation Showdown
We’re looking for examples of innovation throughout the health care ecosystem. Do you have a product or service that will change how the health care industry works? Will your technology or solution transform how health information is exchanged, shared, stored, or analyzed? Will it engage patients and deliver tangible value to hospitals, medical practices and health care systems as they seek to achieve efficiencies, save costs and improve clinical outcomes? If so, this is your opportunity to showcase your company, product or solution.
We’ll have 400 plus health care executives, leaders, IT decision makers and venture capitalists in the room. We will select ten finalists out of the pool of applicants. The finalists will be chosen as follows:
1) Early stage companies (late seed stage to Series A):
- Five companies will be selected that have received a range of $500K to $3 million in seed or early Series A funding
- If you are a startup or a company that has received less than $3 million in funding, you may apply.
- We will provide you with a mandatory “bootcamp,” pitch mentoring process where experts will help you to hone your pitch.
- We will also accept applications where companies have minimally viable product that is in a pilot or a beta but have not launched on a large scale yet.
2) Mid Stage Companies (Series A to Series B funding):
- Five companies will be selected that have at least Series A or B funding (have received more than $3M in funding including your first or second venture round).
- You have a product on the market with a defined customer base and paying customers or pilots.
- You have a defined sales cycle and pipeline.
- You are looking to expand your executive, tech or sales team and need to do another raise for expansion.
Here’s how it will work:
Ten finalists will be invited to present at the event in May. Each finalist will have five minutes to present their business and showcase their innovative solution live on stage at the HealthBeat 2013 event. Our team of judges, made up of industry experts, venture capitalists, and an actual patient, will provide feedback on the products/services presented. Ultimately, our health/tech judges will recap the highlights of the competition and determine the winner.
The Grand Rounds Innovation Showdown winner will be announced onstage at HealthBeat 2013 and will receive VentureBeat editorial coverage, one hour coaching sessions with investors and/or relevant potential customers in our network, and two months press relations support from health care specialist Amplify Public Affairs (based in Washington, DC).
We’ll be announcing the ten finalists on May 1st to present to the packed house. Tickets for HealthBeat are selling fast, so don’t forget to register (do it now, while the Early Bird price still applies)!
What are the Application Guidelines and Criteria?
- All applications must be received no later than April 19, 2013, at 5pm PST.
- We strongly recommend that you submit a short video (2- 5 minutes in length) telling us more about your company or product. The video should not be an elaborate production. We suggest that either the entrepreneur or executive talk about their company/product or solution or provide a short demo of the product with screen shots. Please be concise and clear in the video.
- A person from your company (ideally the person in the video) must be available to pitch live on stage HealthBeat 2013. You must pay for your own airline ticket and lodging to come to the event, but if you are a finalist we will comp your event ticket.
- We strongly encourage product demos. Video, screenshots or other creative ways of presenting your technology or solution are also recommended. Powerpoints will be considered, but upon approval from our staff.
Apply for the Innovation Grand Rounds Showdown here. We’re looking forward to seeing you at HealthBeat 2013!
Special thanks to Norwest Venture Partners for sponsoring the Showdown.
[image credit: Scepticemia]
HealthBeat — VentureBeat’s breakthrough health tech event — is returning on Oct 27-28 in San Francisco. This year’s theme is “The patient journey: Connections, data, and innovation.” We’re putting long-established giants of the health care world on stage with CEOs of the nation's most disruptive health tech companies to share insights, analyze trends, and showcase breakthrough products. Purchase your tickets now and save $100!