TechStars Chicago announced its summer 2013 class of startups, breaking in the popular accelerator’s new Windy City branch.
Ten companies were chosen from over 900 applicants, more than twice the number of submissions the incubator received last year operating as Excelerate Labs.
In February, Excelerate Labs joined TechStars, merging along with its Midwest alumni and mentor networks to become TechStars Chicago. It is headed by managing director Troy Henikoff, founder of SurePayroll, along with OkCupid founder Sam Yagan, Nick Rosa from Sandbox Industries, and Adam Koopersmith of New World Ventures.
“Getting more [than] twice as many applications as we had last year is a clear signal that this program is continuing to earn respect of entrepreneurs everywhere and that Chicago is becoming a leading destination for developing technology companies,” Henikoff said in a blog post.
The TechStars Chicago summer program will begin May 28, ending with a demo day for future investors Aug. 28.
Check out TechStars Chicago’s inaugural 10 startup companies below:
- CaptureProof: A secure photo and video sharing platform for doctors and their patients.
- HIPOM: Cloud-based parental controls for home Internet access.
- Nexercise: A mobile fitness app the motivates through friendly social competition and earning rewards.
- Pathful: Web analytics that automatically captures every interaction with every element on a website to understand visitor behavior.
- Peoplematics: A cloud-based data sharing and search platform.
- Project Fixup: Online matchmaking service that pairs people for one-on-one dates.
- SimpleRelevance: An analytics-driven email marketing platform.
- SocialCrunch: Marketing data based on social media to help brands and agencies target their audience.
- Sqord, Inc.: A kids fitness and activity program using a wristwatch-like armband to track activity.
- TradingView: A community for investors and traders to discuss and share ideas.
VB's research team is studying web-personalization... Chime in here, and we’ll share the results.