Bose, which makes audio equipment including speakers and headphones, has filed a lawsuit against Beats, which Apple officially purchased for $3 billion dollars in late May, according to CNBC.
— CNBC (@CNBC) July 25, 2014
The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware, cites the following patents in question:
- 8,073,151: “Dynamically configurable ANR filter block topology” by Joho et. al.. Includes 30 claims (2 indep.). Was application 12/430,994. Granted 12/6/2011.
- 8,073,150: “Dynamically configurable ANR signal processing topology” by Joho et. al.. Includes 24 claims (2 indep.). Was application 12/430,990. Granted 12/6/2011.
- 6,717,537: “Method and apparatus for minimizing latency in digital signal processing systems” by Fang et. al. Prosecuted by Thelen Reid & Priest LLP Robbins; Steven J.. Includes 19 claims (3 indep.). Was application 10/179,930. Granted 4/6/2004.
- 8,345,888: “Digital high frequency phase compensation” by Carreras et. al.. Includes 16 claims (3 indep.). Was application 12/750,309. Granted 1/1/2013.
- 8,054,992: “High frequency compensating” by Sapiejewski.. Includes 23 claims (6 indep.). Was application 11/409,894. Granted 11/8/2011.
Apple acquired Beats in its entirety, including its music streaming service and its audio hardware product line, and announced that it would take over the headphones’ design starting after the release of the Beats Solo 2 headphones.
What is not clear is whether Apple will be taking over the entire engineering of the headphones.
The lawsuit will likely impact what happens on that front. If you ask me and many of my peers, Apple should just pay the fines, chuck the technology, and engineer its own superior version.
Apple designs and markets consumer electronics, computer software, and personal computers. The company's best-known hardware products include the Macintosh line of computers, the iPod, the i... All Apple news »
Beats Music is a music streaming service spun out of Beats Electronics and into its own company in early 2013. The core experience will be centered around curated playlists created by musici... All Beats Music news »
Dr. Dre is regarded as modern music’s greatest perfectionist. “We go until it happens,” he told the Los Angeles Times of his work ethic in the studio, which has paid off in over a bill... All Dre . news »