Gaming execs: Join 180 select leaders
from King, Glu, Rovio, Unity, Facebook, and more to plan your path to global domination in 2015. GamesBeat Summit
is invite-only -- apply here
. Ticket prices increase
on March 6 Pacific!
Well, looks like Bose did not forget about Dre: The audio equipment company has filed a lawsuit against Beats over noise-canceling technology patent.
Bose, which makes audio equipment including speakers and headphones, has filed a lawsuit against Beats, which Apple officially purchased for $3 billion dollars in late May, according to CNBC.
The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware, cites the following patents in question:
- 8,073,151: “Dynamically configurable ANR filter block topology” by Joho et. al.. Includes 30 claims (2 indep.). Was application 12/430,994. Granted 12/6/2011.
- 8,073,150: “Dynamically configurable ANR signal processing topology” by Joho et. al.. Includes 24 claims (2 indep.). Was application 12/430,990. Granted 12/6/2011.
- 6,717,537: “Method and apparatus for minimizing latency in digital signal processing systems” by Fang et. al. Prosecuted by Thelen Reid & Priest LLP Robbins; Steven J.. Includes 19 claims (3 indep.). Was application 10/179,930. Granted 4/6/2004.
- 8,345,888: “Digital high frequency phase compensation” by Carreras et. al.. Includes 16 claims (3 indep.). Was application 12/750,309. Granted 1/1/2013.
- 8,054,992: “High frequency compensating” by Sapiejewski.. Includes 23 claims (6 indep.). Was application 11/409,894. Granted 11/8/2011.
Apple acquired Beats in its entirety, including its music streaming service and its audio hardware product line, and announced that it would take over the headphones’ design starting after the release of the Beats Solo 2 headphones.
What is not clear is whether Apple will be taking over the entire engineering of the headphones.
The lawsuit will likely impact what happens on that front. If you ask me and many of my peers, Apple should just pay the fines, chuck the technology, and engineer its own superior version.
VentureBeat is studying email marketing
, and we’ll share the data with you.