This sponsored post is produced by the Tabby Awards.
Industry judges and consumers have chosen the 49 best iPad and Android tablet apps and games from over 200 entries in the 2014 Tabby Awards competition.
The 30 winning apps were selected last spring by an international panel of independent judges, chaired by Christopher Cunningham, technology director of the Huge agency in New York. Most judges were experienced app professionals. Officials from the Entertainment Consumers Association helped judge the game categories.
Users’ Choice award winners have been selected by app users and gamers. In June and July, they voted on the TabbyAwards.com site for their favorite app among panel-selected finalists in each category. This first public poll by the Tabby Awards has proved to be very popular as it received almost 100,000 votes.
Winners and Users’ Choice recipients are from Belarus, Canada, the Czech Republic, Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The list includes apps from well-known publishers like CBS, Disney, Electronic Arts, Flipboard, Kobo, Morningstar, National Geographic, Nickelodeon, Rosetta Stone, and Swiftkey, as well as many apps from smaller, innovative publishers.
Here are the winners and Users’ Choice picks:
- Winner and Users’ Choice: Rosetta Course, by Rosetta Stone
Android/News & Magazines
- Winner and Users’ Choice: SwiftKey Keyboard, by SwiftKey
Android/Utilities & Tools
- Winner and Users’ Choice: avast! Mobile Security, by Avast Software
Android/Game: Puzzle, Cards, & Family
Android/Game: Action, Adventure, Simulation, & Strategy
iPad/Books & Reference
- Winner and Users’ Choice: Dora’s Great Big World, by Nickelodeon
iPad/Education/Adults, Professionals & General
- Winner: Star Walk HD – 5 Stars Astronomy Guide, by Vito Technology
- Users’ Choice: Rosetta Course, by Rosetta Stone
- Winner and Users’ Choice: Disney Animated, by Disney Interactive
iPad/Health & Fitness
- Winner and Users’ Choice: Fit Brains Trainer, by Rosetta Stone
iPad/Kids & Family
- Winner and Users’ Choice: National Geographic Magazine, by National Geographic Magazine
- Winner: Unbound Medline – PubMed, Journals, and Grapherence Access, by Unbound Medicine
- Users’ Choice: Rain, Rain, by Tim Gostony
- Winner and Users’ Choice: Flipboard, by Flipboard
- Winner: HL Live for iPad, by Hargreaves Lansdown & Mubaloo
- Users’ Choice: Morningstar for iPad, by Morningstar
iPad/Photo, Video, & Music
- Winner and Users’ Choice: Bria iPad Edition, by CounterPath
- Winner and Users’ Choice: theScore, by theScore
iPad/Travel, Navigation, Local, & Weather
- Winner and Users’ Choice: com, by Booking.com
iPad/Utilities & Tools
iPad/Game: Action, Adventure, Arcade, & Racing
iPad/Game: Board, Casual, Puzzle, & Word
iPad/Game: Cards, Casino, & Dice
iPad/Game: Kids, Education, & Family
- Winner and Users’ Choice: My Talking Tom, by Outfit7
iPad/Game: RPG, Simulation, & Strategy
For even more great tablet apps, the full list of Finalists is available now at TabbyAwards.com.
The Tabby Awards holds a separate annual competition for business and enterprise apps, called the Tabby Awards/Business. This competition currently welcomes submissions from app developers and publishers until August 8. (If you’re interested in participating as a judge for this or any future competition, see our call for judges.)
Developers, to be updated on occasional announcements for future Tabby Awards competitions, sign up for the Tabby Awards mailing list.
Sponsored posts are content that has been produced by a company that is either paying for the post or has a business relationship with VentureBeat, and they’re always clearly marked. The content of news stories produced by our editorial team is never influenced by advertisers or sponsors in any way. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.