A new GamesBeat event is around the corner! Learn more about what comes next.
Apple’s iPad announcement today was all about what it calls the “post-PC” era, in which mobile devices are the future of computing, if not the present.
“Apple has its feet in post-PC future,” said Apple chief executive Tim Cook at a press conference in San Francisco. “We think the iPad is the poster child of the post-PC world.”
That’s a smart position to take for a company that has dominated mobile markets (smartphones and tablets) far better than it ever did in personal computers. Whether it can hang on to its mobile lead — and make the “post-PC” tag stick — remains to be seen.
Apple’s post-PC growth by the numbers:
- Apple has already sold over 172 million “post-PC” devices to date
- These devices accounted for 76 percent of Apple’s revenue in Q4 2011
- In the last quarter Apple shipped 62 million post-PC devices
- Apple retail stores have already seen foot traffic from 110 million customers
- iCloud has 100 million users since its launch in October 2011
- The new Apple TV now supports 1080p, available for order now at $99
- 585,000 apps in the App Store – 200,000+ optimized specifically for the iPad
- 55 million iPads sold thus far
The New iPad:
- The new iPad has a Retina display of 2,048 by 1,536 pixels, 264 pixels per inch
- Apple’s new A5X chip can process up to 4 times the number of pixels. “It is a graphics powerhouse,” Cook said.
- It now supports 4G LTE, which can run up to 73 megabits per second (Mbps)
- Also supports HSPA+, which runs upto 21Mbps and DC-HSDPA, which runs up to 42 Mbps
- The U.S. is getting two iPad versions: one for Verizon and AT&T respectively
- Battery power lasts up to 10 hours, nine hours if you’re using 4G
- It weighs 1.4 pounds and is 9.4mm thick
- Pricing: Wi-Fi only version costs $499 for 16 gigabytes (GB), $599 for 32GB, and $699 for 64GB
- Pricing: Wi-Fi and 4G will run you $629 for 16GB, $729 for 32GB, $829 64GB.
This story is developing. Refresh the page for updates.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more