Christmas Day traffic in the U.S. to the largest online retailers — including Amazon, Walmart, and Target — increased by 27 percent over 2011, according to new data from Experian.
“Christmas Day 2012 saw a 27 percent increase in online traffic to the top 500 retail sites compared to 2011,” wrote Matt Tathan, the director of public relations at Experian, in a blog post. “The top retail sites received more than 115.5 million total U.S. visits. To date the holiday online traffic for the past seven weeks to retail sites are up 10 percent for 2012 vs. 2011.”
The top five most visited retail sites visited were Amazon, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and Macy’s.
Here’s the top ten list:
Experian notes that Christmas Day saw the highest increase so far in U.S. online traffic for holiday milestones with a 27 percent bump. Cyber Monday had an 11 percent jump, Black Friday was up 7 percent, and Thansgiving was up 6 percent. The day after Christmas has not yet been counted. The graph below lays it out:
Other notable data points from Experian’s research include:
• Apple iTunes visits increased 193 percent and Apple.com visits increased 155 percent on Christmas Day 2012 vs. Christmas Eve 2012, with the top product search terms sending traffic to the Apple.com site was iPod Nano, iPad Mini and iPad 4.
• Amazon.com visits increased 24 percent on Christmas Day 2012 vs. Christmas Eve 2012, with the top product search terms sending traffic to the site was Amazon Kindle, Kindle Fire and Kindle.
• Gift card searches increased 6 percent in 2012 vs. 2011 and the top gift cards searches this past week were for Visa, iTunes and Amazon.
Top photo via Vladstar/Stock Free Image
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more