After first showing it off in December, streaming music service Spotify has begun rolling out a new “Discover” page that makes it easier to find and sample new music.
Spotify competes with Rdio, Rhapsody, and other streaming music services, but now has more than 6 million paid users and more than 18 million free users. The latest addition to the subscription streaming music landscape is Google Music, which debuted at Google I/O. No doubt Google was thinking about Spotify when it showed off the new service.
To battle the competition, Spotify has lined up a strong catalog with more than 20 million streaming tunes and has built relationships with big artists. Now it adds the Discover page to the mix.
“With the Discover page, we’re making good on our promise of helping you choose what to listen to when faced with millions of songs,” Spotify chief product officer Gustav Söderström said in a statement. “We’ve made your listening experience more personal, more social, and more current.”
Spotify said the Discover page will include the following features:
● New personalized recommendations every day based on the music you love
● New releases from the artists you follow
● All the music and playlists shared by friends and trendsetters you follow
● Find out when an artist you love is touring near you — the information will just bubble up through recommended shows from Songkick
● Related Music: play a song and get instant recommendations on what to play next
The Discover page is available now to all users of Spotify’s still-new web-based application. Spotify also said the Discover page will be “gradually” rolled out to its desktop and mobile apps.
On top of the Discover page, Spotify also added a new “Audio Preview” feature so you can listen to a snippet of a song without listening to the whole thing. To listen to snippets, just click and hold over any play button on the Discover page. Users can save the song for later or simply play the track.
Top photo via Spotify
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform
- networking features, and more