Elevate your enterprise data technology and strategy at Transform 2021.
Apple’s getting serious about health, and the latest update to iOS 8’s developer beta is beefing up its health-related capabilities.
Apple released iOS 8 beta 5 today, and among the many updates, it slipped in support for spirometry data, which is a test that helps with the diagnosis of certain lung conditions by measuring the amount or speed of air a person a person inhales or exhales. (This comes alongside casual consumer capabilities, such as fitness tracking.)
This addition could be a hint that Apple expects more serious health devices to integrate with its HealthKit beyond casual health and fitness devices like pedometers. It might even include support for some clinical-level tools.
Here are the other major health-related updates in the new beta version of iOS 8:
- New icons for Body Data and Data Exporting
- New Health panel in the Privacy settings
- Option to display the medical ID on the lockscreen
- The HKWorkout API is now available to store workouts
Other new things in this update:
- The phone will prompt you to allow other devices, such as a MacBook, to access SMS messages through Relay
- iCloud has a new set of icons
- New Wi-Fi calling indicator for T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling
- Can now toggle on and off from the predictive text function in the messaging app
- Photos: “Last updated” notification for synching to iCloud, option to store full-resolution images in iCloud and optimized versions on the device
One more beta update is expected before Apple releases the full OS.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more