Join GamesBeat Summit 2021 this April 28-29. Register for a free or VIP pass today.
Skype now supports SiriKit, which means you can call someone on Skype just like you would place a normal call with voice commands. You can just say “Call [contact name]” and as long as the Skype contact information is saved in your iOS device, Siri and Skype will take care of the rest. Just like on a normal call, Siri may ask for you to confirm it has the right contact.
Skype also now takes advantage of CallKit in iOS 10. As a result, incoming Skype calls will show up just like regular calls on your lock screen, and it’s easy to switch between, or answer, Skype and regular calls. Microsoft says SiriKit and CallKit functionality is coming to its Skype for Business iOS apps in October.
You can now store your Skype contacts right in your iOS device. This makes it easier to initiate a Skype video call, audio call, or even a Skype message without having to go into the app.
Here’s the full changelog for Skype version 6.25:
- Use Siri commands to quickly start a Skype call
- Answer Skype calls from your lock screen, just like a regular phone call
- Seamlessly store your Skype contacts into the contacts list built into your iPhone
- Pay for Skype Credit in Israeli Shekels
- Invite your friends to Skype directly from the contacts list
- More easily differentiate between your contacts and bots in the contacts list
This is a big update for Skype, but you’ll need to get iOS 10 in order to truly appreciate it. If you’re a big Skype user and haven’t upgraded to Apple’s latest and greatest, this should win you over.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more