Here’s a surprise from Apple: The company is updating its iMac line.
The big story is a new model: the $5,000 iMac Pro, “a monster when it comes to graphics,” according to Apple.
Apple called it “the most powerful Mac” it’s ever made, a dig at the now dated cylindrical Mac Pro which looks like a fancy garbage can. The new all-in-one computer supports up to 18-core Xeon processors and a 27-inch 5K display.
As for the refreshed iMacs, Apple says they will ship with the latest Intel Kaby Lake processors, a 43 percent brighter display, up to 64GB of memory, up to 80 percent faster graphics, and up to 2TB of storage.
Apple last updated its iMacs in fall 2015. Here’s a closer look at what’s new.
- Price: Starting at $1099 for the 21.5-inch model.
- Ports: Lots and lots of ’em, including 2 Thunderbolt (USB-C) 3 ports, 4 USB 2 ports, and a headphone jack.
- Storage: The non-Pro iMacs top out at 2TB of flash storage.
- Memory: The new iMacs can handle up to 32GB of memory on the 21.5-inch model, 64GB on the 27-inch model.
- Display: It’s brighter, like on the new MacBook Pros.