VentureBeat is partnering with Vator.tv to help judge an entrepreneur pitch competition for best “new media” start-up.
The winner gets to fly down to meet with the mergers and acquisitions team at investment company Demand Media, as well meet Demand’s CEO Richard Rosenblatt. Since launching mid-November, 61 companies have participated; we’ve got a month to go.
The winner will also get blog exposure with profiles on VentureBeat, Mashable and Andy Plesser’s Beet.TV. Vator has a leaderboard featuring the leading contestants so far. We list the top-ten below. Of the leaders we haven’t covered, Mixmonsta is worth a look.
To compete, go to Vator.tv (details here), where there’s more information about the prizes.
Here are the top 10:
1. Zipidee is an online marketplace for digital media, such as video, music, eBooks, ringtones and wallpaper. The San Francisco company offers sellers a digital-rights management technology to protect producers from copyright infringement. (VentureBeat’s coverage here.
2. Nowlive is a platform for live interactive shows, making them more social events for the audience and hosts. VentureBeat’s coverage.
3. Clupedia, an encyclopedia of clues from crowds. Clupedia is a platform that lets you express your opinion either at a point of interest anywhere on the Internet using its toolbar or from a centralized location using its Web site.
4. Woome, an online speed dating site with in-browser video technology to help users meet new people in a fast, fun and free fashion. VentureBeat’s coverage.
5. Mixmonsta, a creator of interactive, flash-based-widget media players that let people mash up and remix content on their mobile phones.
6. FlickOptions is an online trading game where traders buy and write options on movie premiums.
7. Afrigator aggregates blogs and Web sites across Africa. Think Digg or Fark.
8. DigitalSmiths, an enabler of online video advertising and ad optimization through automated visual analysis and audio recognition.
9. DadLabs is an online TV network producing four 3-8 minute shows a week on the subject of fatherhood.
10. MyPunchBowl an event-planning site. VentureBeat coverage here.