Join Transform 2021 for the most important themes in enterprise AI & Data. Learn more.
We wrote about Jott when it first launched two years ago and praised it for its simplicity and ease of use. Jott continued to evolve, allowing you to do things like post things to web sites, and use any mobile device to do so — again, all by voice. It transcribes what you say by having people in India type down what you say into text.
The acquisition is just the latest sign that large companies are eager for ways to boost their profile on mobile phones, which people are increasingly using, now that they can enjoy things like speedy mobile browsers and more powerful mobile networks that allow more powerful applications to be used.
In a statement, Burlington, Mass.-based Nuance said it was buying Seattle-based Jott to expand its mobile offerings and that the two companies would focus on voice-to-text projects:
- The Jott Assistant service — Nuance said that the Jott service has been adopted by hundreds of thousands of users and that this provides considerable insight into what mobile users need. Nuance plans to offer Jott Assistant to mobile operators as part of its voice services portfolio, including Nuance Voicemail-to-Text.
- Improve productivity for the enterprise market.
- As used in Jott for Salesforce, Jott provides open APIs that allow for voice integration with third-party customer relationship management providers. Nuance said it will expand the CRM partner program through its existing CRM partnerships.
[Update: Turns out TechFlash, the Seattle site, broke this story last night, and has more information.]
[Are you an entrepreneur or executive active in mobile? Join us at MobileBeat 2009, this Thursday, our mobile conference for industry leaders. Just a few tickets left!]
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform
- networking features, and more