Palm Pre and Pixi devotees, rejoice! Starting the night of Friday, Feb. 26., the fabled webOS 1.4 update will finally become available to users as an over-the-air update. The news comes via Engadget, and was confirmed by a Sprint message board posting.
The update includes the usual bug fixes and performance improvements, but it also brings two major new features to Palm’s platform — video recording, and Adobe Flash support. Palm originally announced the video recording feature at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, and said that it would feature similar editing and sharing options as the iPhone. Flash is only available for the Pre (due to its faster processor), and users still need to wait for the Flash plug-in to hit the Palm application catalog. Palm says it will be available shortly.
That it has taken so long for Palm’s smartphones to receive video recording — Android devices received it in early 2009, the iPhone got it with the 3GS in June ’09 — likely contributed to Palm’s lackluster sales report.
It’s not entirely certain if this means that Verizon subscribers with the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus will receive the update at the same time — but we will update once we’ve learned more.
Since the original Sprint message board posting has disappeared, find the full details below:
Palm Pre and Pixi WebOS 1.4 Software Update
On 2/26, Friday evening, Pre and Pixi device users will receive an Over the Air (OTA) notification to download the new 1.4 webOS software release.
This release includes both fixes and feature updates (listed below).
- Time Zone bug fixed
- Network time sync bug fixed to reflect accurate Network time
- Bluetooth car-kit transition to device corrected
- No EV icon bug fixed (random)
- Random browser formatting bugs fixed
- Fixed bug that incorrectly displayed Sprint when actually was Digital Roaming
- Missing Contact issue specifically with swap down to 220.127.116.11 or less
- Phonebook Transfer (import & export)
- Adds Video Capture capability & edit
- Calendar Enhancements
- Messaging Enhancements
- Improved Performance (Phone & CAL)
- Email Enhancements
- Notification Enhancements
- Adds Adobe Flash 10.0 (Pre Only)
- NOTE: The 1.4 software adds the ability to use the Flash 10.0 Adobe plug-in which will be available shortly from the Palm Appl Catalogue.