The makers of the popular Dolphin Browser have released a new version of its Android app with an add-on called Jetpack that speeds it up to twice the speed of Chrome and ten times the speed of the stock Android browser.
Dolphin parent company MoboTap said today that its browser has reached 50 million installs, a sign it has largely succeeded in becoming the top third-party browser for mobile. In June, the company opened up APIs for its Android and iOS versions of Dolphin so third parties could create add-ons for the browser. Besides offering add-ons, Dolphin differentiates itself by offering gesture controls, voice commands, and more all in the same package.
Version 9 of Dolphin includes the following updates:
Network Diagnosis: Solve your network connection issues
Night Mode: Easily dim your screen to lower brightness level when browsing at night
Dolphin Connect: Option to sync your data when connected to WiFi
Dolphin Sonar (voice commands): Even more user friendly
Various performance improvements
And, of course, now the browser is adding speed with the Jetpack add-on. The add-on only works with Dolphin’s latest version, so you must download version 9 from Google Play before launching Jetpack.
Here’s how Dolphin 9 with Jetpack performed on various benchmark tests:
• HTML5test.com: Dolphin scores 480 vs Chrome 389 (HTML5test.com is an industry respected tool for testing a browser’s support of HTML5)
• Ringmark: Dolphin is the very first and only browser to reach final ring (Facebook’s benchmark test)
• Octane: Dolphin: 1394 vs Chrome: 1333 (Chrome’s benchmark test)
• Sunspider: Dolphin took 1413.2ms vs Chrome took longer with score of 1847.9ms
Dolphin photo via Ste Elmore/Flickr
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more