Who needs an iPad Mini when you can have an even better full-size iPad? Apple surprised us with the announcement of a fourth-generation iPad with a fast A6X processor, support for more wireless carriers, and an HD camera on front for video chat.
Apple claims the new A6X chip will double CPU and graphics power. On top of that, the new iPad will feature a better front-facing camera for video calls, faster WiFi, and the new-ish Lighting connector that’s smaller and featured on the iPhone 5.
“The competition wasn’t even close to us, and now we’re just blowing past them some more,” Apple SVP Phil Schiller said at the iPad event today in San Jose, Calif.
On top of AT&T and Verizon offering LTE data, Sprint will now also be able to offer an LTE data package on the fourth-generation iPad.
The full-size iPad will remain the same price as prior generations, with $500 as the base and working its way up to $830.
Apple’s October Surprise
We expected Apple to announce an iPad mini today, and we got it. What we didn’t expect was the sheer number of new products the company unveiled. Here’s a rundown of the news.
- Apple debuts new MacBook, iMac, IPad 4 and iPad Mini (live blog)
- With the iPad Mini & an updated iBooks Author, Apple finally has a chance of revolutionizing the classroom
- Apple announces 7.9″ iPad Mini, measuring just 7.2mm thick
- Tablet domination: Apple has sold more than 100M iPads
- Apple’s Fusion Drive combines SSD speed with big storage
- Apple announces stunning 5mm-thick iMac
- Apple unveils gorgeous Retina 13-inch MacBook Pro, starts at $1,700
- Apple launches new iBooks with continuous scrolling, better iCloud support, and page filters
- Apple by the numbers: 200M devices running iOS 6, 125M docs in iCloud
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform
- networking features, and more