Elevate your enterprise data technology and strategy at Transform 2021.
As you go crazy saving money this Black Friday, one organization wants you to think about how you can help save the planet — at the same time.
The average person spends about $420 on Black Friday, according to Heifer International, a charity that supplies livestock, seeds, tools, and small-business startup help to poverty-stricken people in developing nations. As we’re scoring TVs, surround sound systems, tablets, and other goodies, we’re saving an average of $126.90.
That $126 could go a long way to helping a poor family:
- One goat: A goat means four quarts of milk a day, which means eight kids get their milk, protein, and calcium.
- One women’s group: One women’s self-help group plus a biogas stove helps 30 women provide for themselves and their families.
- Six flocks of chicks: Six flocks of baby chickens end up producing about 1,200 eggs per month, supplying a reliable source of food and protein
- One family farm care package: Seeds, tools, and trees so families can feed themselves, and preserve the Earth.
Here’s the Heifer International gift catalog, with a few ideas to help us give thanks in a very tangible way, while we’re also getting as much cheap stuff as we can.
“Nearly 80 percent of Americans say they would rather have a charitable gift given in their name than something they don’t need,” the charity says. “Heifer International gifts bring real, sustainable change. Our animals provide life-sustaining, nutrient-rich products. They empower women to be equal players in their communities, increase family incomes and enable education.”
That just might be better than a bigger big-screen TV.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more