Elevate your enterprise data technology and strategy at Transform 2021.
GitHub today launched the GitHub Student Developer Pack, a new initiative to woo students to its platform. This deal is actually a pretty sweet one: The company has pulled together 12 companies to give students free access to various developer tools “so they can learn by doing.”
To take advantage, you need to be at least 13 years old and enrolled in a degree- or diploma-granting course of study. You’ll also need a school-issued email address, a valid student identification card, and a second proof of enrollment documentation (enrollment letter, transcript, etc.).
With that out of the way, the pack’s components are as follows (two come from GitHub, the rest are from the 12 partners):
- Atom: A hackable text editor (open source).
- Bitnami: Install cloud applications in a single click (business plan for one year, normally $49/month).
- Crowdflower: Crowdsourcing and data enrichment platform (normally $2,500/month and $50 in worker credit).
- DigitalOcean: Simple cloud hosting for developers ($100 in platform credit).
- DNSimple: Simple DNS management with one-click services and API (bronze hosted DNS plan for two years, normally $3/month).
- GitHub: Collaboration, code review, and code management for open source and private projects (micro account with five private repositories, normally $7/month).
- HackHands: Live programming help available 24/7 ($25 in platform credit).
- Namecheap: Domain name registration and SSL certificates (one year free domain name registration on the .me TLD and one year free SSL certificate, normally $8.99/year and $9/year).
- Orchestrate: Unified database as a service including search, key/value, graph, and events (developer account, normally $49/month).
- Screenhero: Screen sharing for collaboration in teams (individual account, normally $9.99/month).
- SendGrid: Email infrastructure as a service (student plan for one year, normally $4.95/month).
- Stripe: Web and mobile payments, built for developers (waived transaction fees on first $1,000 in revenue processed).
- Travis CI: Continuous integration platform for the open source and private projects (private builds, normally $69/month).
- Unreal Engine: A complete suite of game development tools (Unreal Engine, normally $19/month).
If you’re already using GitHub with a student account, you’ve automatically been given access to the developer pack. The company says over 100,000 students already get free access to GitHub, collectively pushing code more than 50,000 times per day.
GitHub is also looking for more partners. So if your company produces developer tools that it wants to give away to students, you know what to do.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more