Last week 80,000 Reddit users voted on where Reddit should donate 10 percent of its 2014 ad revenue. Here are the results.
Reddit users voted on more than 8,000 charities, a company spokesperson told VentureBeat, “with a total of 250,000+ votes cast.”
Out of Reddit’s $8,276,594.93 in total 2014 ad revenue, the company plans to divide up 10 percent — about $827,000 — evenly among the following 10 charities. Ultimately, each will receive about $82,700 from Reddit.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Doctors Without Borders, USA
- Erowid Center
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- Free Software Foundation
- Freedom From Religion Foundation
- Tor Project Inc.
We want to show that advertising doesn’t just support the Reddit platform, it also directly supports the causes and goals of Reddit as a whole.
We expect the above charities to welcome Reddit’s $82,700 checks. It’ll be quite interesting, however, if Reddit makes this 10 percent donation idea a yearly thing — the amount donated could grow drastically with ad revenue.
For now, Reddit won’t say if its 10 percent donation will go annual: “We haven’t finalized our donation plan for next year, but Reddit plans to continue finding ways to give back to the community,” a spokesperson said.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more