A new GamesBeat event is around the corner! Learn more about what comes next.
Google today launched the second release of the Android N developer preview. You can start testing your apps against this release by downloading the new preview from developer.android.com/preview. Here are the factory images: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, Nexus 9, Nexus 9 LTE, General Mobile 4G, and Pixel C.
Google launched the first Android N developer preview just over a month ago. In past years, Google has unveiled the next Android version and released the accompanying developer preview at its I/O developer conference, but with Android N, the company is starting much earlier — I/O 2016 is scheduled for May 18 to May 20.
The Android team has been working hard over the last month; three major features have been added in this second preview:
- Vulkan is a new 3D rendering API geared at providing explicit, low-overhead GPU control to developers. It also offers a significant boost in performance for draw-call heavy applications — some synthetic benchmarks see as much as 10 times the draw-call throughput on a single core as compared to OpenGL ES, according to Google. More details about Vulkan are available here.
- Launcher shortcuts: Apps can now define three to five shortcuts that users can expose in the launcher. These shortcuts contain an Intent into specific points within your app (like sending a message to your best friend, navigating home in a mapping app, or playing the next episode of a TV show in a media app).
- Emoji Unicode 9 support: This design “moves away from our generic look in favor of a more human-looking design.” Google is asking for keyboard and messaging developers to start incorporating these emoji in their apps. The update also introduces support for skin tone variations and Unicode 9 glyphs.
As you might expect, the new preview also includes a few API changes (check out the diff reports). Last but not least, you can expect a slew of bug fixes.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more