This week Tech.eu tracked 17 technology M&A transactions and 69 funding deals (totalling €286 million) in Europe and Israel.
Here’s an overview of the 10 biggest European tech news items for this week:
1) Chinese Internet juggernaut Alibaba has acquired a controlling stake in Rocket Internet’s e-commerce platform Lazada for about $1 billion
4) After Daimler confirmed talks with Amazon and Microsoft about an investment in digital mapping company HERE, Bosch is considering buying a stake, too
5) The pan-European data regulator group, Article 29, has criticised the Privacy Shield safe harbour revamp proposed by the European commission over its lack of surveillance protection from the US government for EU citizens’ data
6) VC firm Accel’s London office (which is the global investment company’s base for all investments in Europe and Israel) has secured $500 million for its fifth fund
7) Dutch food delivery firm Takeaway.com is considering an IPO that could value the company at more than €1 billion, Bloomberg reported
8) Britain’s Daily Mail is in talks with potential partners to mount a joint bid for Yahoo’s Internet assets
9) Spotify’s founders have written an open letter to Sweden’s politicians, saying they’ll be forced to divert thousands of jobs away from Sweden if major changes to the country’s housing, taxation, and education systems aren’t made
10) Nexthink, the Swiss provider of end-user IT analytics, has secured $40 million in new investment in a round led by Highland Europe as it preps for an IPO and establishes a US base in Boston
Bonus link: Russian billionaire investor Yuri Milner and physicist Stephen Hawking announced a $100 million initiative to better understand the cosmos, this time by deploying thousands of tiny spacecraft to travel to our nearest neighboring star system (Alpha Centauri) and send back pictures
This post first appeared on Tech.eu.
Subscribe to the weekly Tech.eu Newsletter here.
How startups are scaling communication: The pandemic is making startups take a close look at ramping up their communication solutions. Learn how