All the sessions from Transform 2021 are available on-demand now. Watch now.
Research in Motion is no more. The company has renamed and rebranded itself to simply BlackBerry, CEO Thorsten Heins said today at the BlackBerry 10 launch event.
“It is one brand, it is one promise,” Heins said on stage in New York City. “Our customers use BlackBerry. From today on, we are BlackBerry everywhere in the world.”
The move is surprising, but it makes sense. Customers identify with the BlackBerry brand more than the name Research in Motion, so the move simplifies the presence of the company.
With the launch of BlackBerry 10, the company is doing a lot to change perceptions about what it can offer consumers and businesses. BlackBerry will now offer up two new smartphones running the BB 10 OS — one with a touch-screen and one with a keyboard.
The company will change its ticker symbol on the Nasdaq stock exchange from “RIMM” to “BBRY” on Monday.
More BlackBerry 10 news:
- BlackBerry 10 kicks off with Z10, Q10 smartphones
- Alicia Keys named BlackBerry’s global creative director
- BlackBerry investors unimpressed with BB10, stock down 8%
- BlackBerry isn’t giving up on the PlayBook yet — tablet-focused services in the works
- BlackBerry 10 launches with a ton of big apps, including Skype, Kindle, Facebook, & more
- BlackBerry’s popular BBM app adds video calling & screen sharing
- BlackBerry’s web store finally gets music, TV shows & movies
Thorsten Heins image via Sean Ludwig/VentureBeat
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more